Author Topic: Hickory Backed Hickory?  (Read 8382 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Backed Hickory?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:53:18 am »
Theoretically speaking a sinew backed bow is a backed bow. A self bow is made of one piece of wood however a bow that is spliced in the handle but otherwise a self bow is still considered a self bow.
   I would think that a backing of a weaker wood like ash or elm may be a better candidate for backing a hickory bow.
    When Badger mentioned that hickory backed hickory is preferred by flight shooters they(flight shooters) are holding their competitions in very dry climates and that is where hickory shines but it is too dry for other woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 12:25:27 pm »
Hey Dean!  Glad to see you!  Welcome to the forum. ;D

We've had this discussion before....a backing is anything that is on the back of the bow unless it is for decoration (like paint).  I don't remember if most people consider snakeskins (or fish skins) to be decoration or backing.

Any kind of cloth (even it's only for camo), sinew, or plant fiber is considered a backing, I think.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:37:47 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline son of massey

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »
  any backed bow is a backed bow.   a selfbow is a bow all by itself-no backings, laminations, or whatever.   a stick and string.   the thing with definitions is that they get sticky quickly.  what defines primitive is something that has caused problems on this site before, but really it shouldnt be a big deal.  the only reason to have these agreed upon definitions is so that we can communicate about the material more effectively, not so that my bow can be any better than yours becuase it is a seflbow, not a selfbow, more/less primitive, etc.   this shouldnt get ugly and there shouldnt be the urge to sit back and watch sparks fly-it always confuses me why these things are such hot button issues.

i dont think that the hick/hick combo is good for flight shooters just because of the low humidity, although that probably does have a lot to do with it.   for flight shooters they want as much efficiency for as little mass as possible in the extremes that most bowyers do not try to push material.   when you start to think in terms of maximum efficiency you think of belly materials that resist bending extremely well, and so store lots of energy-like horn or bone-and this should be matched with an elastic enough backing to actually allow energy transfer-something like sinew-and this generally leads one to rediscover the asiatic composites.   they are massive though-both sinew and horn are more dense than wood.   so for mass alone you want real light woods.   these tend to not be as strong as you would want.   i think a good compromise is in the hickory area as it is not really heavy but it is not much weaker than the hardest woods either.   the backing, as mentioned before, can also add a little efficiency to the bow along the glue line.

SOM

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:36:06 pm »
Glad to be a member now. I have learned and will keep learning  a-lot from Primitive Archer. And yes I agree a selfbow is just one piece of wood.  Don't want to stir anything up here. Dean

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 04:41:54 pm »
I agree that a backed bow of any sort is not a self bow, but if you want a really fast bow, glue two equally thin laminations of hickory together with Titebond III and put a little reflex/deflex in it.  I build quite a few bows this way and I have been very pleased with the outcome.  I think the secret is the fact that both lams are the same thickness.  You can then tiller equally from the back or the belly, glue on a handle and overlays and you have a fine shooter.  Not primitive, of course, but effective.

Dan

Offline bcbull

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 05:01:39 pm »
 GOOD DECSIONS HERE GUYS  IM WITH JESSE  AND DEAN DONT WANNA STIR NOTHING UP  BUT WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN IDEAS  ON WHATS WHAT I SAY ANYTHING BACKED WITH ANY OTHER WOOD IS NOT A SELF BOW !!!  A SELF BOWS DEFENATIONS SHOLD BE IT S A SOLID CHUNK OF WOOD BUT THEN SNAKE SKINS AND RAWHIDE  DONT COUNT  CUZ  THATS MOSTLEY FOR DECORATION  OR SFATEY  BROCK

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »
Hickory backed hickory is still a laminate bow. I've made several maple backed maple bows, and I definately considered them laminate bows. Also, I believe a sinew backed bow is a laminate.