Author Topic: Question from a newbie...  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Question from a newbie...
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »
Hi guys....Merry Christmas btw.
I've been thinking that I'd like to try this knapping thing. Don't have any tools yet or even understand what the different tools are designed for, but since we're heading into the winter months I expect there will be enough cold-dark evenings to spend time to learn knapping. The days will be filled with coyote hunting and bow-building (hopefully) along with snow-blowing.

Where do you guys get the different rock to use? Wionter here buries everything 3 ft. deep in snow!
Glass? toilet tank?
Can someone give a short description of what different tools I need and what they do?
Also, I know that experience makes short work, but normally how long does it take to create an average type arrowhead?

Thanks

Offline knap_123

Re: Question from a newbie...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »
i would suggest going to you tube and type in knapping. you will be able to see all the tools you need and how to use them.  as far as flint goes, there alot of ways to get it. were do you live? there might be some in your area.  go to the trade section and look around or maybe some guys will p.m. you who have some for sale. you can google up knapping resources and theres alot of dealers on there as well ebay under knapping or texas flint  is good.  also old tvs people thrw out at hanna boxes or bottoms of  jars will work. 

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:27:56 pm »
i would suggest going to you tube and type in knapping. you will be able to see all the tools you need and how to use them.  as far as flint goes, there alot of ways to get it. were do you live? there might be some in your area.  go to the trade section and look around or maybe some guys will p.m. you who have some for sale. you can google up knapping resources and theres alot of dealers on there as well ebay under knapping or texas flint  is good.  also old tvs people thrw out at hanna boxes or bottoms of  jars will work. 
Knap123, I live up in New Brunswick Canada. Not sure if we have flint here or not. Can do some research I guess.. Maybe check with the University Geology dept.
Thanks for the tips. You Tube is out as it's brutal on dial-up! >:(

Offline knap_123

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:55:32 pm »
yu might have onondagna chert there. i'll do some reserch as well.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 05:59:22 pm »
hes some infohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga_(geological_formation)

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 06:41:53 pm »
Thanks Knap...is this chert good material?

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 10:28:14 pm »
yes it is, i have some a fellow from your country sent me thats great. it needs no heat to work which is a plus, and comes in large nodgules.  i think i read that some areas produce a higher grsde than otheres but not sure.  theres a few fellows on paleo planet that couald help out more that are from up north.

Offline xin

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:33:14 pm »
Onondagai  is good chert, but not for a beginner.  i've seen beautiful points made from it. You should probably spend the winter getting  your tool kit togetherand learning about platforms using glass as  your knapping material.  Knap123 gave you good advice on going to u tube.  The tube is fantaastic.  You can actually see some of the best knappers in the world chipping away.  Knapping is all about platforms and angles.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 02:36:36 am »
Did a little digging here and found that there are several sites in the province identified as actual "workshops" where the local Micmac and Maliseet natives collected chalcedony, carnelian, agate, jasper and chert to make their tools and arrowheads/spearheads.

I am fairly close to a coupl;e of these sites and could do some rockhounding this spring. Sounds like a great way to pass a weekend! :D   I'll start digging up some glass to play with this winter to practice on first.

Thank You...