Author Topic: neo- abo flaker / how do you like antler?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline knap_123

neo- abo flaker / how do you like antler?
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
heres my favorite flaker to use and make, its a moose tine with deer prong.  next i use a grinder and work the tine till it feels right in my hand. i also grind the deer tine and run it through the 1/4'' hole on my diameter guage. i want it to pass through straight with no hang ups and snugg. then i slde it in.  now i  find were i wont my set screw and drill my hole and tap it. i like to use a smaller drill bit than my tap. i like it to be a tight fit but not to tight when i add my set screw. if your set screw is to long then use some plieres and grind it down till its short enough. you wont it below the lip of your hole.  also make sure you have the right thread set screw for your tap.  to tight or to wide and you'll strip the holes out and ruin a nice flaker.  and i tell you guys, these prongs really grab those flakes and hold on.  you dont wont a sharp point either, keep it more rounded or it will split. a good med. tooth file is all you need to keep in your tool kit to touch it up now and again. theres something special about a antler flaker when i hold one. i i have a few different sizes and a ishi stick with antler.  i love copper as well and find my self mix them up on some points.what is your oppinion on antler? can you get a better hold on those tough to remove edges ? or what about glass or obsidian? i find some stones i like better with one or the other.

Offline billy

Re: neo- abo flaker / how do you like antler?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:31:23 am »
Great photos of the entire process of making that flaker.  That's a great idea, I'll definitely have to try that!!  I use antler almost exclusively and I love it.  It works really well and I've learned the technique to using bone.  I have some copper flakers and I use them only very sparingly, usually in notching or if I get stuck and can't remove a flake otherwise.  Of course copper does have its advantages (it's stronger and holds a point much longer than antler). 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:17 am »
your right billy, copper does hold a point longer and is easier to use for most. the thing about the antler prongs is  you wont them dull and you dont have to abrade as much, thats definately a plus. i use copper more than anyting, but sometimes i have that itch to go abo.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:10 am »
That is pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:31 am »
Sometimes a wood flaker works good..

Nice lookin tool ya got there.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:39:45 am »
That looks good. I like antler for pressure and use it a good bit, it just dulls quicker and I have a hard time running long flakes with it. I'm going to try making some long caribou antler flakers like James Parker uses, they seem to work great (for him anyway :) )
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:40 am »
ifya get a chance to try the deer prongs, you'll notice how they flex when removeing a flake, like a ishi stick does.  because there a small diameter, there  a little springy.  so you get that snap if you extend the prong out. if you like it stiffer push it in some.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 07:55:42 pm »
 That is cool. I just cut an 18" piece of moose antler today to make a flexible flaker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »
Thats a good idea, think I will make one ;)...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....