Author Topic: beveled broadheads matching the fletching twist  (Read 3219 times)

Offline hedgeapple

beveled broadheads matching the fletching twist
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:36:13 am »
From my reading a beveled broadhead will twist in the opposite direction of the bevel when it cuts through flesh.  On a 2-fletched arrow right wing spin the arrow one way and left spin it the other direction.  (which spins which direction?).  So, shouldn't the twist caused by the bevel on the broadhead match the twist created by the fletching?
dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: beveled broadheads matching the fletching twist
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:44:12 am »
Dr Ashley's report on broadhead penetration suggest the best penetration is achieved with the bevel matching the helical twist of the fletching. He did his studies on big boned African and Australian animals. If you are hunting North American animals I don't believe it is a necessity except for moose and maybe elk.
   A broadhead with a single bevel on the right should spin counter clockwise, looking from the fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:54:09 pm »
Thanks Pat B
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:53 am »
I shoot a right helicle three fletch arrow for elk... I can tell you that if i don't allign the cutting edge of the points with the nock, that penetration on big bulls is always less.. by alligning the blades to the nock the  arrow spin at say fifteen yards is so perfectly lined up that the arrow enters the body cavity with little or no resistance.. the last several elk i shot went down within sixty yards or less.. could be just luck but seems to work for me.. Hawk a/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:37:58 am »
Thanks Hawk.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw