Author Topic: kid's maple bow  (Read 3675 times)

Offline brownhillboy

kid's maple bow
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:52:05 pm »
This is a little bow that I made very quickly last summer from a small stave out of a maple tree that was knocked down during a storm.  It was still green and I broke some rules while making this bow.  You'll see in the pics that I cut right through a big knot.  I made this bow for my youngest son Tyler, who had his 8th birthday today.  Well, naturally, the bow took a lot of set and as it dried it gained poundage to the point that he couldn't pull it back any more.  So, I stripped the finish off of the belly and heat treated it back to a straight profile, then I retillered it to lighten it up so he could shoot it again.  It's not fancy or anything- he's the rough and tough type- but hopefully it withstand his abuse and provide him with a lot of fun.  You'll see in the pics that it has several knots, including 1 in the handle area that kinda helps locate the hand in the same spot every time.  Just thought I'd share it with yall and I know he'll enjoy seeing himself on here as well as reading your comments.  Thanks for looking!

[attachment deleted by admin]
south central VA

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Re: kid's maple bow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:08 pm »
whats the draw weight??? hes a lucky kid :P, good to introduce it at a younger age, he may follow in your footsteps =3
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:11 pm »
Very cool little bow.  He looks like a natural.
Traverse City, MI

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:54 pm »
Thanks guys.  I haven't checked the weight, but I will and then let you know.
south central VA

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »
Thats cool brownhill. I tried to make my youngest a little bow and it didn't turn out very well. Maybe 7 pounds when it was done. I tried to make the tiller perfect on it. (well perfect for my novice eyes) How wide is it? (approx.) and how long is it? I showed the pic to my youngest and all he said was " Hey I wanna shirt like that"  :D Thanks for sharing it with us. And for the little brownhill boy I wanna say you have a really cool little bow. :)                      Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:57:22 pm »
I enjoyed the story, and the facts, but really got a chuckle out of the pic at full draw with that deadly squint......that's the happiest kid in town man!!    My son is all grown up now but the times we fished and canoed and DID THINGS TOGETHER were, and are, precious.   Cherish each moment.  And don't lose that picture.   

piper

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:18 am »
Building kid bows is addictive..Or at least watching them grin after hitting a target is.....maybe both? Love that look on his face  in the full draw pic... Nice.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:08 am »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I love the look he has on his face too!  That's the first thing my wife said when she looked at the pics too.  If you think he looks serious there, you should see him with a light saber in his hands!LOL  I'll get some more specs on the bow tonight. 
south central VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:40 am »
Very nice bow. Primitive, too! which is what I like. Great looking kid and bow picture. We'll look at it again for March Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
Great looking boy,bow is nice also,I love to see Dad's doing that for there kids,thay are our future.Well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:30 am »
That is a really nice bow. It is also great to see your son shooting. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:48 pm »
Nice little bow and great way to get the family involved.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 12:59:42 pm »
Sweet , that looks like one heck of a happy kid! ;)

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
Thanks again guys.  Both of my boys have been shooting since they were 2 or 3 years old, so we have a lot of fun together with it.  The biggest problem I've found is keeping enough arrows for them!  I went scratching through the leaves for one of my arrows the other day, and found six more before I found mine!LOL  They tend to give up on their's easier than I do.
south central VA

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »
OK, I have some more info on the little bow.  It's 41 5/8" ntn, 1 1/16" wide at the handle and tapering to 9/16" at the nocks.  Tyler pulls it 16", where it is 21#.  I don't think he had it pulled that far in the pic though.  By the time the camera and I were ready, he had eased off a little.  Thanks for looking.
south central VA