Author Topic: Crow feathers  (Read 4055 times)

Offline smokeu

Crow feathers
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »
Anyone use crow feathers??/ are they legal in TX?

By the way im not a computer nerd ive just been stuck on a location since 5am with nothng to do but shred the web
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:21:16 pm by smokeu »
Longview, TEXAS

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
Re: Crow feathers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »
im sure you could sure it... ive used parrot before im not sure if theres a difference, but test em out

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:30:01 pm »
I've used crow feathers for two-feather fletches and three-feather Southeastern radial fetches (flat to the shaft). They work good for both. They're a bit small and flimsy for normal split-feather three-fletches. They're legal as far as I know anywhere that there is a legal crow season.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:20 am »
I've been thinking about crow feathers, also.  Here in KY, and I'm assume most states, someone realize that crows migrate, thus should fall under the migratory bird sanctions, like geese, ducks, woodcock and dove.  So KY has a season for crows.  Last year it was Sept. 1 - Nov. 7, Jan. 4 -Feb 28.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:21:30 am »

I had heard a long time ago, that they were protected because of a treaty with Mexico.  Unless you have a predation license.  I don't know the validity of this.  I know in Montana the Ravens are protected.  And they are BIG! :o  And live quite a long time.

Wayne

Offline smokeu

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:06:26 am »
Boy i was sure dissapointed about those buzzard primaries I was really about to get some... I had no idea.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:41 am »
The Migratory Bird Treaty Act does include the American Crow and hence the seasons. I believe the crow is a national symbol for Mexico. As long as the crow was taken legally, then it is ok to use the feathers or whatever else. My grandfather told me stories about how the community would have a crow hunt(prior to 1918) and then that evening a crow fry.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:11 am »
We have a pretty long and generous crow season here in NC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:15 pm »
Here in PA we've got a long season. Trouble is hitting them :D.

I used them a while back, and they shot really well. Better long, as they weren't very tall. I'm looking to bag another bird and try some ideas I've been wondering about...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:34 pm »
 Too bad you couldn't get some of those Crows I saw in Manitoba, They looked like small dogs. At least 5 or 6 #.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »
some crows ive seen up in northern Penn, are huge, we got ravens up there too though look like giant black eagles
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »
Ravens are one of my favorite critters. We have them here, but only at the higher elevations of the mountains and in the wildest spots. They don't hang around where people are.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 02:05:54 am »

The Ravens in Montana are very large also.  When it is foggy, or snowing pretty well, and you can't see very far, you can hear them flying, and it sounds like a turkey flying, and then they make some weird noises also.  They can sound like short burst of machine fire, and the usual Raven noises, and some other noises.  They have quite the repertoire of sounds.  They are actually very pretty.  When you See Ravens, and or Eagles out there it usually means a gut pile, or something dead. ;)  They will gang up on a doe that is giving birth, and before the fawn hits the ground they have pecked the eyes out.  Not a pretty thing to witness. :(

Wayne

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:06:51 pm »
Hey Mike ,just call the TP&W office and ask a game warden if you can use crow feathers.Then you'll know for sure. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas