Author Topic: Two Hickory board bows - backing needed or not? (pics)  (Read 11302 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Two Hickory board bows - backing needed or not? (pics)
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:56:47 pm »
I have two board bows I'm working on. Both were shaped out of roughly 1x3x3/4 pieces of Hickory. I've heard from some different people that Hickory shouldn't need a backing however I wanted to post some pics and double check that before I put these bows on the tillering tree. The first is the pyramid design I posted about earlier.

This is the right limb:

Left limb:

And tips:

The tips are both the same size, I just took the pics at different distances. Also the color make look funny but that's because I tweaked the brightness and contrast to bring out the grain. The boards are typical creamy whitish Hickory color. As you can see the pyramid bow is from a piece that had a pretty good decrowned grain pattern visible on both ends.

This second bow is a Meare Heath replica I knocked out on a whim. The board this bow is shaped from is not as good as the pyramid design bow. The Meare Heath board had a propeller twist to it and you can tell from the end grain that one end shows a decrowned grain pattern while the other end is bias ringed, which I guess caused the twist. I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not. I attempted to take some of the twist out by planing the future back of the bow to knock down the edge that was twisting up the most. I then went ahead and shaved the belly down.

Left limb:

Right limb:

Decrowned end:

Bias ringed end:

So, what do you guys think? Should these bows need to be backed? Up to now, the only bows I've made have been board bows from Red Oak and those I backed even though they had decent decrowned ring pattern or were slightly bias ringed. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially given the sheer amount of time it took to shave these two boards down to size, but if they don't need to be backed I won't back them. By the way, my first choice for backing would be linen - I have plenty of it around and it's easy to apply.

Offline bambule

Re: Two Hickory board bows - backing needed or not? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:48 pm »
it's hard to say from pics...
I've build a lot of Hickory Board Bows and I didn't back one of them - I didn't take care of the grain on Hickory (maybe a fault ::))
None of my Hickory Board Bows broke till now. I've one with an really ugly grain. About 1,2" wide, reflexed with dry heat and for 47#@28" drawlength on 65" ntn - no prob.
Your bows look much wider so I won't care and don't back them - but these are just my 2C.
If it is your first and you need success - back them - it's up to you  ;D

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline THoward

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »
Just my thoughts.
I have made 4 board bows from Hickory.  All are doing well.  Two youth bows wide enough a light enough draw weight to not have to worry about breakage.  I have a 50lb. 64" that I followed the growth ring so it looks like a self bow.  Shoots nicer since I Eiffle Towered the last 1/3 of each limb.  I broke one trying to make a supershort mid weight bow.  My bad design.  I have had no problems with growth rings lifting on the edges.  I will keep building these because they are an inexpensive way to build kids bows and experiment on with overlays, backings and design ideas.
From your pics lit looks like your boards growth rings are at least running lengthwise through the majority of the bows.  You might as well keep experimenting and find out how far you can push your designs.
Keep making shavings.
T
"i came to live out loud" emile zola

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:27:55 pm »
l would back it if l were you. Hickory is tough as nails but in my experience hickory boards break fairly easy......so use a backing just to be on the safe side :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:56:41 pm »
Boards need to be straight grained. I better be honest. I would have left those boards on the rack. There are just too many grain violations. Backing them may not be enough to keep them intact. The first picture shows a bunch of violations. See all those violated rings? Second picture is not bad but it's same board. In the second board the right limb is not bad but the other limb shows a bunch of violations. There is a picture of an almost perfect board on my site. I look at the edge grain first and then the face. Choosing the right board is crucial. I wish I had you here to show you. Sorry but I am trying to stack the odds in your favor. Hickory is not indestructible. I had a hickory board break at a little tiny knot I missed when I was choosing the board. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:42 am »
Yeah, I was afraid of that - the violations that is. I've got a feeling that backing with linen probably just isn't going to cut it. I think both bows are from cut halves of a 1x6x12 that I had cut in half and then got home and took each half and cut those lengthwise. I think that's why both bows show one limb with good grain which then turns into destructive run-offs in the next limb. Maybe I shouldn't even bother trying to put a backing on. I've got plenty of other Maple and Red Oak I could play around with and I'm pretty sure there's better grain on those boards.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:41 pm »
The other possibility is to splice 2 good limbs together but that's too much work for a board bow, at least for me. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »
No, I agree - too much work for a simple board bow. No, they'll go in the trash or maybe I'll stand them in the corner to remind me to pick the right type of boards next time.

Joe M

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »
Just a thought, finish one with a very - very - lite pull and use it to measure draw length if the need should ever arrise, should you make a bow for a relative or friend.  At least this way you salvage something from the experience. :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:09 pm »
no im thinking you need to burn em under some brats ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd