Author Topic: osage question please help  (Read 2544 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

osage question please help
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »
I have never worked with osage before but finally got a log it was cut about 3months ago but its winte so i didn't see any borer holes.  By the time i cut out all the splits its only 3 ft long so, billets i split it into 8 billets 2-3 inches wide. now for my question i rmoved the bark is it ok to leave the sapwood on some of the and just seal them till later? They will be stored in my work shop which is in my house. Please give me your thoughts.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline chessieboy

Re: osage question please help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:25:05 pm »
As soon as you take the bark off SEAL!! Doesn't matter it you leave the sapwood on or not  SEAL!

Good luck
Bill

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:27 pm »
Thank you Bill.  I already sealed with some good think one coat paint.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »
Sealing sapwood won't stop it from checking on a really dry day. Time to start removing the sapwood as fast as you can because when it checks it often goes deeply into the heart wood. I know this from lots of first hand experience. Go buy a qt of shellac, your billets will thank you for it, 3 or 4 thick coats is the best sealer you can use.

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »
ALL the sapwood should be removed. If the sapwood is on the stave, the bark should be on there as well.

thoughts of mine on drying and seasoning wood: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/08/drying-and-seasoning-wood.html

I hope it helps.