Author Topic: Stave or Sapling?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline joshro

Stave or Sapling?
« on: March 23, 2009, 02:27:40 pm »
I was thinking about building my first non-board bow and was wondering if anybody has an opinion on which to choose for my first. Looking at Gordon's sapling D-bows sure has me leaning that way.
Plus, I don't really have access to any staves at the moment but I could possibly have access to some saplings on my buddy's property, so what should I look for? Any specific tree species?
I'm near St. Louis in Missouri. All opinions welcome! Thanks!
Josh

Offline bambule

Re: Stave or Sapling?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »
Hi Joshro,

any hardwood is good - which kind of wood you have access to?
building a sapling bow is maybe for the first bow a little difficult.
But take a look at Black Locust, Elm, Maple, Hazel, Osage, Hickory, HopHornbeam, Dogwood, Yew, RedOak, VineMaple, Ash, Cherry, Apple etc...  ;D

Greetz Cord

PS: Maybe take a look at the first and the second thread...
Niedersachsen, Germany

330bull

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:52 pm »
I actually think the opposite on a sapling bow.  I think They're an easy bow to make, especially if you make a bend through the handle bow.  If you have access to any Osage suckers, or any other hardwood sucker, or any Hazelnut I'd jump all over those.  Good luck!

You can also try the Trading Post section and make a trade for an already "dry and ready to build" stave.

Good luck!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »
Hickory or elm would be a good choice for a first sapling bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »
I don't think that sapling bows are easier to make, in fact they are sometimes more difficult when they have a high or irregular crown. That said, saplings are far more plentiful than good staves and so it is not so painful when you wreak one.
Gordon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »
I agree with Joe about getting a dry stave...unless your buddy's property has some standing dead saplings that are not ruined by mold, bugs, etc.  You'll have to wait at least two months for a green sapling to dry.

A sapling bow should be made from a wood that is very strong in tension.  Locust, osage, and hickory are some good choices (when dry).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:57 pm »
If you can find a hornbeam sapling straight enough I would be all over it.  I have a snakey one I need to get started on.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »
Don't choose a wood that likes a heartwood back like osage, black locust or mulberry. Any other good whitewood bow wood will do it. What do you have accessible, joshro?
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline joshro

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:33:28 am »
Thanks for all the info guys. George, As far as what is available to me...well, I'm not sure. I'll actually have to get out and walk his property, but I know we have a lot of different hardwood species growing here in MO. I'm sure I can find something that will work. Maybe I'll see if I can cut a sapling or two and while they're drying look into a trade for something that is already dry, as this will be my first experience with something other than a board.
Josh