Author Topic: Any tips on where to look for flint in Buffalo NY  (Read 9254 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Any tips on where to look for flint in Buffalo NY
« on: March 24, 2009, 03:08:13 pm »
I am in Newfane (near buffalo >.<) and i have NO IDEA where to find flint, i have dug in my creek it would help if i knew what the flint around my area looks like, because it is hard for me to figure it out >.>
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: Any tips on where to look for flint in Buffalo NY
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
 Around Buffalo, there is an abundance of Onondaga chert, which is a mottled grey with lighter grey streaks through it.  There is a lot up there from what I've heard.  It can be tough to work, but it is free(!).  I got some from a friend who looks along the lake & rivers in the area.  It has a petroleum smell when you chip it.  Sometimes it can have hidden cracks that only show up when you start taking flakes off it.  Hope this helps.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:38 pm »
Around Buffalo, there is an abundance of Onondaga chert, which is a mottled grey with lighter grey streaks through it.  There is a lot up there from what I've heard.  It can be tough to work, but it is free(!).  I got some from a friend who looks along the lake & rivers in the area.  It has a petroleum smell when you chip it.  Sometimes it can have hidden cracks that only show up when you start taking flakes off it.  Hope this helps.

Jim

so far what i found out, is i have a crap load of coal, but not much else, >.> i got like 50 lbs brought up so far its solid black shiny on the inside dull on the outside, if u strike it, no spark (so its not flint) and i took to earth science teacher and he also confirmed, he COULD be wrong but not likely :P

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:39:55 pm »
post a pic of it

more than likely some one here can i.d. it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:12 am »
post a pic of it

more than likely some one here can i.d. it

im sure its coal, it breaks too easy to be much else,

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:40 am »
There is a large deposit of chert in Shelby (Orleans County).  I am unsure of who owns the land currently, but I am seeking to find out. 
There is always Hope.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:40 pm »
there is a lot of onandaga up there along the lake. lot of coal too like ya said. keep your eyes and ears open for the letchworth knap in. i think its in august. you can get a lot of help and info from those guys
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »
heres a pic of that onondaga stuff

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:35:54 pm »
heres a pic of that onondaga stuff

o.o i was expecting something darker, we have LOADS of that, and some stuff a lil lighter too, its all over the creek bed, hey, its still light out ill head out and get a pic or two now that i have "access" to the camera hehe,

update: got the pictures taken now i just have to wait for them to be put on the comp later then ill upload, but yeah, i have to ask, how thick should they be, whenever i get a good point i can break it by putting pressure on the side of it with my thumb, yea its sharp on the edges and stuff but it breaks >.>,
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:54:34 pm by Hawkeyes »

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 01:50:45 am »
i hope this isnt too dead now, but i have a few questions, i dont think the stuff in my creek is good quality chert x.x when i break it yea it breaks off with sharp edges and breaks in flakes, but it has a rough feel to it...

today i was out with my dad doing looking for plants at one of the nurseries nearby (dad is a landscaper and he needs help lol) , and as he was looking at plants my A.D.D kicked in lol (i get A.D.D moments time to time lolz) i was looking at the ground  and picking up fist size chunks of smooth rocks and yea, when i got home i was working with it and man... they do spark alot even with a hammerstone... long story short, i dont have that kind around here, but i dont know 100 percent if the Onondaga stuff is what i have in my creek or what i found today, either way, i have plenty of good flakes off of them, now i just need to find a huge rock nearby to gradually mooch off of... hrmm... lol

and btw the smooth ones i used break off sharp enough that u can shave with them, and thats not an exaggeration x.x  ive never seen flint nor chert but all i can say is that if this isnt the real deal... then idk x.x

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 05:16:20 am »
a lot of the stone is like that . i had a beautiful piece of normanskill . it showed no signs of fractures in it. as soon as i took a swing at it it fractured into a half dozen pieces.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct