Author Topic: Sassafras board  (Read 3425 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Sassafras board
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:18:32 am »
A friend just gave me a sassafras board 3/4 in thick.  The growth rings do a half moon pattern on the end of the board just like on stave that you would chase the rings.  If the board was thicker and I was more skilled at ring chasing, I might attempt doing that.  But right now I'm interested is using it for a board bow.  What would be a good wood choice for the backing of sassafras, or maybe even another material that would work well in humidity of KY?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Badbill

Re: Sassafras board
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:35 am »
Well, I'm going to give you my opinion even though I'm pretty new at this. Mostly cause I'm hoping someone with more experience will come along and tell me if Iam right or wrong. My understanding of Hickory which seems to be a very common backing is that it doesn't do well in humid climates. Boo does but may overpower the Sassafras, depending on its thickness. There are other types of backings such as linen and silk, just about any cloth, I just named a few. Then there is the dreaded "fg" that we can't talk about without angering the P.A. gods. If you are going to chase a ring you may not even have to back it, depending on the weight you are shooting for. Hope this helps, Hope i'm close. LOL. ;D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:55:58 am »
Thanks Badbill, I understand the perils of hickory.  But, from what I've read here, the humidity in KY will make it sluggish.  One a dry, cold winter day we may have humidity in the 30's; summers 70-90+ per cent.  The rings on the sassafras are TOO thin for me to attempt.  Silk or linen backing might be options.  Rawhide and sinew might fall pray to the humidity.  I was thinking BL or oak as wood backing???
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:19:27 am »
i dont know that oak is good enough in tension to be a backing, i dont think that hickory 1/8" or less will be much of a hindrance. of course i live in an area that is <40% humidity year round. so i may be completely wrong about this. hopefully someone who has used this backing in a humid area chimes in. best of luck.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:09 am »
I use rawhide a lot around here in TN. where the humidity is probably about the same as yours,you just have to seal it good and take a little extra care when it is really damp.Keep it in a good dry place when you aren't using it.It should work fine. :)
       Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »
Thanks Dustin and Pappy. 
Pappy I'd say we have similar humidity.  For design of the bow, I"m thinking 1 5/8" to mid-limb tapering to 5/8.  Would the be too wide?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:19:26 pm »
Linen, burlap, silk or rawhide would work. You don't have to chase a ring as long and as the grain is straight yo are set. More info on boards on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:47:15 am »
I would say that design would work fine.Maybe a little wider. :) Keep us posted.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:22:50 pm »
Hedgeapple, in the Witchery of Archery book, Maurice lists sassafrass as 2nd on his wood list of  native woods. My experience is ,it was my first selfbow wood  and was a success. I also know of a gentleman who lived in Frankfort Ky. who was an aquaintance of Steve Martin's also of Frankfort, who made an English longbow of sassafrass! It was a fine bow and example!  Also it is very pleasant to work! I call it a poor mans yew, and think it would work fine with a backing of hickory. Best to yew, and get after it! Steve

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:54:10 pm »
Thanks Jawge, Pappy and Bullitt.  I will keep you posted about the sassafras bow.  But, first I need to finish this hickory bow.  With luck it will be on the short string in a couple days.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw