Author Topic: Mulberry Layout????  (Read 3614 times)

Offline newknapper

Mulberry Layout????
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:17:37 am »
Hey guys, I have a Red Mulberry stave I have started chasing a ring on and was needing to know the best layout for the wood. The stave is 68" and plenty wide. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Mulberry Layout????
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:18:26 am »
Mulberry is pretty versatile, I've made flatbows, ELBs, and Woodland-style D-bows from it. A good general design would be a stiff-handled flatbow about 1 5/8" wide from fades to midlimb, tapering to 1/2" or 3/8" nocks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:56:05 am »
There is a strong consensus that it makes a great D bow. I'm partial to agree with that. I haven't tried a D bow with mulberry, but I'd like to.

It also makes a good flatbow, from my experience. Just make it about 10-15% or so wider than an similar osage design since it is not as dense. Since it is a cousin to osage, imagine mulberry as "low" density osage.

More thoughts of mine on flatbow design: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/05/osage-flat-bow-dimensions.html

I would use that design for a flatbow, but make it 1.75-2" at the widest point and then taper to about .5" at the nocks.

Hope it helps.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »
I just made a bow from mulberry it was 68 1/2 ntn, 1" 1/2 at the fades tapering to 5/16 at the nocks it pulled 45# at 28" and held just a hair of reflex when unstrung. I hope that helps some.
SW Utah

Offline newknapper

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:16 am »
Thanks guys for all the replies. I am gonna give it a try and see what I can come up with. Do yall thing 1 7/8" @ fades is too wide down to a 1/2" nock.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:39 am »
At 68" you could go narrower like to 1 5/8" like Hillbilly said.  Leave the tips on the wider side until tillering is done then reduce the width to 3/8" or so. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:06 am »
I like the wider limbs, like 1 7/8'' to mid limb then to to narrow thick limbtips with no bend. The inner mass does not hurt cast but light narrow tips  do help.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline newknapper

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »
There is alot to think about here, as this is a really nice stave that I got from a good friend and I shore dont want to mess it up. Thanks for all your input guys. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
You can always take wood off! Getting it back on is much more difficult. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:17:16 am »
Good timing with this post.  I just started chasing a ring on my Mulberry stave.  Good luck with yours Newknapper.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:46 am »
Good timing with this post.  I just started chasing a ring on my Mulberry stave.  Good luck with yours Newknapper.

Thanks! Good luck to you also. Post some pics soon so I can see yours.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:02 am »
I'm finishing a mulberry bow up at the moment, too. I'll probably have pics later this week. I really like mulberry, one of my favorite woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 06:25:09 pm »
Cool cant wait!!!!!

Offline Don

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:24 pm »
Glad to see this post.
I've got 4 stave still drying just waiting to become a bow.
And they're NOT staight. ::)

Don