Author Topic: how much is too much  (Read 2701 times)

Offline deersled

how much is too much
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:48:23 pm »
what's the most weight you would put on the end of a rivercane arrow? I'm shooting around 50#@28 and my cane weighs 310 grains fletched. trial and error or is there some kind of formula (without getting too scientific). Remember, I'm just a Georgia boy!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: how much is too much
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »
Are you talking about point weight, or overall? 310 is pretty light for a cane arrow, most of mine finish out at over 600.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:27:43 pm »
Mine finish out between 550 and 650.  Are you using mature culms?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline deersled

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:24:14 pm »
i got some cut from 28" to 31" and they range from 290-400 grains. that is without the point. how long is your cane? was wondering how much point weight I could add because I thought they were light also. should I leave them longer? yes, I believe they are mature. the heavier ones I have seem to be on the stiff side.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »
It depends on what they spine out to and the draw weight, draw length, and handle design of your bow. Generally, the more weight you put on the front, the less the functional spine of the shaft is. Also, making the shaft longer decreases the functional spine. So if your arrows are spined right, you would need to shorten them some if you put a heavy point on so that they don't end up spining too weak, or vice versa if your shafts are stiffer than they should be. Just experiment until they are the weight you want and fly like you want them to.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline deersled

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »
I am not a knapper. Would it be "taboo" to put a foreshaft in it and taper the end and shoot a big honking glue on broadhead?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »
I am not a knapper. Would it be "taboo" to put a foreshaft in it and taper the end and shoot a big honking glue on broadhead?

i sure hope not,we cant hunt with stone here and this year i will be hunting with my own gear.well factory made steel broadheads will be the only exception
i have some cane shafts that i plan on using glue ons,but i wasnt planning on foreshafts.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:40 pm »
No taboo that I know of. You don't even have to foreshaft it-just plug the hole with a section of dowel or bamboo skewer and taper it.
Smoky Mountains, NC