Author Topic: Fathers Day Hickory  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Parnell

Fathers Day Hickory
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:53:36 pm »
This bow given to my Father-In-Law this evening.  He is a strong guy and always likes 'heavy' stuff, so this is what I made for him.  It is from a hickory board.  It follows the dimensions for an osage flat bow in TBB1 but the fades are 2".  The draw is 63# at 27" and shoots strong. 

Not for BOM.  Thanks for lookin.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline adb

Re: Fathers Day Hickory
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:20:34 am »
Pretty decent looking bow. It has taken a lot of set... how long is it? It is a heavy draw weight, however. Might wanna slim those tips a bit more... looks better, and shoots better too. Otherwise your tiller looks good. Your top limb looks a touch stiff in the outer half... it's bending a lot right at the fade. Bottom limb looks nice. Good job.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:35 am »
Bet he liked that.Hickory makes a tough bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline smokeu

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:08 am »
Nice job, very good gesture... made one for my Dad as well.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:18 am »
I'm sure he will enjoy this gift, nice job!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:57:33 am »
Thanks for feedback, Adb - bow is 67" with 2" wide limbs tapering to 1/2 inch.  I'll take your advice for adjustments - he has to wait another week to shoot after some surgery.  I didn't heat treat the belly of this bow and didn't give it any reflex before tillering.  The set is more than I'd like and want to improve it on my next bow. 

Question, I'm making another bow with similar dimensions but not as wide - it'll be 1.75 fading down to 3/8 at nocks and 3/8 inch fades.  I've given it 1 inch of reflex before my tillering by heat treating the limbs using crisco.  Should I try to get more reflex before I begin the ground tiller?  What's a good starting point with reflex with a bow like this to wind up with no string follow?  I'd like to recurve the tips some.  I've just received TBB2 the other day and am studying the recurve section.  With hickory, is it better to steam or boil?  Is 60 degrees too much to aim for with an unbacked hickory board bow?  Advice appreciated and thanks for the comments, everyone.
1’—>1’

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »
What? ??? Why not BOM?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:53 pm »
 :-\  It's a good bow - but I figured not really worthy of BOM.  I have a few bows, an arrow set, and a couple of quivers that I'll be posting to get some feedback on, but I'm on a real learning curve now, and I've been figuring that my better work is ahead of me.   I'm still pretty much a newbie (this #10 that didn't break), I'd like to keep it simple for awhile with experimenting.  If you think it should be included and the others I'll be posting, then by all means, but I don't want to 'muddy the waters' with submissions that I don't feel are quite there yet...  Thanks, OldBow.

Also, I mis-typed before - it is 3 inch fades, not 3/8.  Those would need to be some high fades ;D
1’—>1’