Author Topic: Newbe and first bow build  (Read 4593 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Newbe and first bow build
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »
Well done, Denise! Very nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Denisesewa

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »
Here is a better pic ( I think) Anyway, I dont shoot with the bow vertical so tiller can look a bit off from the side but its not as far as I can tell.
 I also made a new string today from #20 firewire at 12 strands, it seems alot more lively now and is certainly faster , the string is about half the diameter of the first one and the bow is quieter , things just keep getting better !   8)
 The arrows I have been shooting are too stiff so I ordered some lighter spined shafts , once I feather them up I think I'll call this bow done and start planning the next one.
Fun ,fun ,fun !!
"D"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:33 am »
Great job, awsome bow and welcome aboard. Looks like a lot of fun to shoot.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:19:22 am »

Tiller looks great! Hard to believe it's your first bow!
Frank from Germany...

Denisesewa

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:49 am »

Tiller looks great! Hard to believe it's your first bow!

Well, I suppose it doesnt hurt that I have been shooting on and off for 25 years and knew what I wanted , I've also built a couple of guitars so am familiar with working with wood.
 After reading how hard it is to tiller an R/D bow I went into it with the thought that if it takes a month then thats what it takes , I decided to leave it long ( 68") untill I reached full draw , brace height and close to my target weight , I then started using a piece of foam poster board and traced the outline both sitting on the handle and sitting on the string so I could flip it over and check the other limb , I could see there was something wrong on the tillering stick but couldnt determine exactly what it was , the poster board allowed me to see it much better. Then I started to shorten the bow (64") and worked carefully to bring the weight down, when I got to 60" and just under #40 it was then easy to get the 1/8" extra in the top limb while bringing it down to #35 . I found it very important to repeatedly flex the bow ( like 20 times ) and let it sit for a while ( strung ) after each adjustment before continuing .
The most important advice I received by reading these forums and other sources was Patience .
"D"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:13:11 pm by Denisesewa »