Author Topic: Spine testing rose shoots  (Read 2582 times)

Offline tgr

Spine testing rose shoots
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:33:25 pm »
I have a few bundles of shoots to scrape and some older arrows already completed.  I read some older postings regarding spining by shooting.  The ones that shoot accurately are fine others forget about.

My question is:  when spining this way must the shoots already be fletched and with some sort of point.  This for me takes some time and lots of feathers just to discard the shoots which are too light.  I have a 57# long bow.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Tom

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Spine testing rose shoots
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:42:59 pm »
i think your talkin bout bareshafting.

WARNING: I PROBABLY DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!  ;D

but as far as i know, you dont fletch your shafts. just get them to the right length and what not, and add a point that weighs the same as your hunting points. shoot them like that. if it hits to the left, (for a right handed shooter, left handed will be vice versa) its to stiff. to the right, too weak.

i hope that answered your question.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:02:34 pm »
If you are using a mechanical spine tester you don't need fletching or a point on the arrow. What you are doing is checking the deflection(bend) of the arrow with a 2#weight hanging from it. With shoot arrows and cane the natural taper reduces the actual spine by 10# and each inch over 28 will reduce the spine by 5# per inch over 28.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tgr

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I don't have a spine tester. I brought some shoots to our local archery store.  His was broken.  I don't want to spend the time making and wasting materials with shoots that are too light.

Tom

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:56:37 pm »
you have a store where you can buy shoots?????
lets just shoot it

Offline tgr

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:40 pm »
No, I brought some shoots to be spined.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 11:50:39 pm »
I rarely spine shoot or cane arrows. I try to find the stiff side and place that against the bow. I also keep them long for my draw length; 29" to 30" for my 26" draw.
  Were the rose shoots new shoots this year or older shoots from last year or older? For the best arrows you want shoots(and cane) that is at least two years old. The shoot will have just leaves on them the first year then the second year small branches will appear at last year's leaf scars.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:20:14 am »
oh, i got ya.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:36 am »
When I say shoots that are at least 2 years old I mean in their second growing season, not curing for two years...although a well cured second growth season shoot is ideal for shafting.  ;D