Author Topic: bark backing results  (Read 2628 times)

Shadow Walker

bark backing results
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:01 pm »
O.K, IT WORKS!!!
I backed my 48" ironwood  reflex deflex bow with ironwood bark. Upon doing a few tests , I discovered that6 it has remarkable tensile AND compression strenght.
I am going to use it on the belly of my bow as well. It should be noted that my glue-ups were all done with hide glue ( not knox gelatin, but actual deer hide glue)
I really feel this is a pertinant point in this application, as I have not tried any other glues yet.
I have never posted pics on here yet, but I'm going to try to post a close-up of the effect. It's definately an awesome camo!!
I will post pics of the bow at full draw when I am finshed tillering.

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: bark backing results
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:14:11 pm »
sounds good
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:56:14 pm »
That's good to know. Looking forward to your pics and further comments.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »
What kind of draw length you getting out of this bow?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:33:43 pm »
I have done 3 bows out of ironwood. 2 are asiatic style and one reflex deflex ( not including the one I'm working on now) Allk 3 are 48 inches long and they are handling a 28" draw lenght with ease.( gotta love ironwood!) the two asiatic style bows are pulling 45 pounds. the reflex deflex ( my wife's bow ) is pulling around 38 to 40 pounds.
The one I'm working on now (with the bark backing ) ,, I'm aiming for 50 pound pull at 28 inches.
If I can get a handle on how to post pics properly, I'll certainly do that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:57:48 pm »
Which iron wood are you referring too, hop hornbeam or hornbeam or one of the other ironwoods?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shadow Walker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 12:06:50 am »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's eastern hophorn. At least that's the closest I can find on the internet. All I can say for sure is that it is one of the "hornbeam" species. I'll tell you one thing, it was a hell of a lot easier to cut in the spring than it was last week!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:11:52 am »
If it has a smooth bark it is hornbeam and if it has a somewhat shaggy bark it is hop hornbeam.
Hornbeam is also called musclewood because of the sinewy, muscular look to the tree trunk.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 12:14:45 am »
Here's the bark backed detail photo - close up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shadow Walker

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:21:36 am »
The bark is not smooth at all. It has long rough parts that seem to "lift" or "curl" at the ends. The trees I have been using are roughly ' in diam.
On the bigger trees the bark is even rougher.