Author Topic: Knappable material in Southeast PA  (Read 4283 times)

dmann

Knappable material in Southeast PA
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
I live in south eastern pennsylvania and was wondering if anyone knew were i could find some lithic material... any help appreciated  david

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Knappable material in Southeast PA
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:06:55 pm »
dmann, I live in Nw penna. an the only knappable stuff we have here is onadago an its actually in Ny. state from Buffalo to albany on the escarpment. I was hopin someone would have said there was all kinds in sw pa. So I could go to mining some:>}. I guess we are just stuck in a Knappal poor rock area. I do beleive there is some kind of jasper in pa. Just don,t have clue where at. Later Bob

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:13:08 pm »
Sounds like you all have the same stuff we have here in Chesapeake, VA. Nodda Rock.... nodda rock in sight. I haven't tried knapping oyster shell yet, but I am about ready to try.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
Steven T. Oh we got lots of rocks, there called leaver rocks , leaver right where it is, Most of the rocks in nw pa. are granite round an hard as all get out. I picked alot of them out of crop fields an theres lots of stone piles in this area.  :>} Later Bob

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »
You could try different websites like http://www.eskimo.com/~knapper/ this is my favorite site it has alot of information. if you like it have fun buying rock from different parts of the country, warhawk.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline HFD60

• HFD60'S PHOTO'S
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:35 am »
according to geological surveys there's to be jasper around Reading, PA....but I haven't found any yet...
Rich Bistline
Harrisburg, PA

dmann

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:07:11 pm »
yea i heard there was jasper too but im trying to find either chert or ryholite cause i heard both of them were in my area and that jasper is a pain in th a** to work with

Offline arappaho

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:57 pm »
Hey dmann, I think you're on the right track with the chert and rhyolite.
The rhyolite should be a solid black material. You've probably found this
site allready but here it is anyway;
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/VolcanicPast/Places/volcanic_past_pennsylvania.html

Good Luck,  Joe