Author Topic: GA regulations?  (Read 4804 times)

Offline paulc

GA regulations?
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:15:09 am »
I was online yesterday looking thru DNR site trying to find the regs on size and material for broadheads in GA.  Anyone know?  I could not find anything.  I could have sworn that stone points were not legal in GA.  TIA

And is anyone seeing deer moving in GA yet?  I hunt Ft. Stewart just south and west of Savannah and have yet to see anything besides squirrels.  Thanks,

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: GA regulations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:28:02 am »
Thought you might get more looks here,the other is for pictures. I'm not sure on your question,
I know you can in TN.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:48:54 am »
Thanks Pappy, and nice work on the doe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:32 pm »
If I'm not mistaken the regs say for bow hunting it has to be a broadhead type arrow. It is not specific about material or size. I use stone points, trade points and store bought heads when I hunt GA and I prefer them to be at least 7/8" wide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »
HEy Paul,

There are no regulations on what your arrowhead is made of, or the size.  Hell, you can even used barbed points.

I live up here in N. Ga and I had a small doe walk up a ridge toward me 2 days ago, but she saw or smelled me and trotted off. Been seeing lots of squirrels, but haven't had many shot opportunities because they're usually high in the trees eating nuts.  It'll be another month before the leaves start falling...that's when the squirrel hunting gets good.  I honestly don't bother chasing deer up here where I live....the deer hunting sux big time, so I spend my time chasing squirrels.   
Marietta, Georgia

Bluehawk

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:06:11 am »
Dont realy know in Ga   but in Penna . It is specific  STEEL only  and minimum  and maximum sizes    very restrictive.

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:36 pm »
having bow hunted in GA for three years I always used non-barbed arrowheads that were at least 7/8 inches wide.  it's not that it is a regulation, but I did it out of respect for the animal.  In fact if I am using stone points, I will not hunt unless shooting them out of a bow that has at least a 60lb draw weight.  But strictly speaking there are no regulations.  Always double check your hand book each and every year because regulations change. 
There is always Hope.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »
GA is one of the least restrictive states in the country as far as broadheads go. Here in NC, they have to be unbarbed and 7/8" wide.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 09:27:15 pm »
Bluehawk, Penna. allows stone heads just can't be barbed an must be less than 3" an at oleast 7/8" wide. The new regulations book is wrong stating steel heads only. Later Bob

Bluehawk

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:07 am »
Thankyou Bob     Actually I did see the mistake and tried t0o post a retraction here but for some reason it did not  take   I did go to the regulations to check and found the "Booklet" wrong       but thanx again for pointing it out I didsnt want any one feeling restricted by my post