Author Topic: 2nd fluted point  (Read 2534 times)

Offline sailordad

2nd fluted point
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:52:01 pm »
well i have been trying to make popints lately,but i seemed to have regressed onto my gravel making mode.
so i put away good stuff and gabbed this nasty looking,curved just plain wierd piece of rock(dant ask me what kind,its a rock lol)
and began to whacking,after about an hour i ended up with a decent point,that when i said to mys self
"self that rock is begging to be fluted,just look at it. uit wants you to give it hell"
well who am a i to argue with the voices,after all i always give in to them anyhow.
so i set me up a nipple,wedged that sucker into my leg,grabbed it tightly by the sides with a nice thick towel(its got a decent edge)
grabbed my copper bopper and swung,missed,swung again and another miss.
now its 0-2,i give myself a couple of practice swings and let lkoose on it and thats when i hear that ever so lovely "tink" sound.
i looked,wow a decent,all be it,short flute.
so then i flipped it around,set up another nipple.again wedged it into my leg and got a good grip.
once again got to a count of 0-2,(never can hit them with the first swing).again let loose and heard that sound again.
when i looked i couldnt believe my eyes. i had my second fluted point.
i will post a couple of pics for ya'll,if anyone has any idea of the styl please feel free to fill me in.it looks familiar but i have no reference manauls to look at.
thanks for looking.

peace,
                                                                                           tim
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:55:41 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: 2nd fluted point
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:25:54 pm »
Damn Tim... i'v seen real clovis points that look like that.. good job man!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »
Yeah Tim, looks like you got plenty of giddy up in your git a long there :). Keep it up - you'll be showing us how before too long..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:04:39 am »

Dang Tim, that does look like a real un!  I am too afraid to try to make one.  If I can make a decent point, I leave it alone.  I don't tempt the Lithic Gods, sometimes they can have a wicked sense of humor.  And I usually am the one they try it out on first. ;)

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:28 am »
Wayne, you are absolutely right
tonight i tempted the lithci gods,one to many times.
i had a beuatiful clovis style point going,made from goldstone.
i could have left it unfluted,as some clovis points were that way to my understanding.
but no,i had to try and flute it.
got one nice flute,rolled it over and set up a nice nipple,gave it my usuall 3 whacks befoe i made contact on the fourth whack
well wouldnt ya know it,i made my first clovis sytle fluted 3 piece take down point.
well atleast it has nice flutes ;D :D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:54:29 am »

Don't ya just hate that? !! :'(  I tried to do some fluting, and got one sorta flute, and like you a couple of pieces.  I have the same problem, with long wing tips, on points.  I get one beautiful one, and then while making the other one, I suddenly have one and a half...... ::)  Oh, well.  But I will try again.  Maybe I will be successful .  Maybe not.  Been watching the You Tube sites in the Flint Knapping section, ( ask a stupid question ) got some useful info from that.  I will have to drag my knapping stuff back out of the truck, and see if I can do some of it.  Got to make me a chest crutch, to try to do some big flaking......Sorry to hear about the gold stone.  Never seen any of it.  I have some coral, but I am not touching any more of it.  Ruined the other slabs I had. :'(  Anyway, you have a couple of Clovis points to be proud of. ;)  Which way more than I have. ;D  I may dig around in my bucket, and see what I have in there, and do a little whacking, and pressing tomorrow. 8)  I wonder if the Paleo's ever had conversations like this? " Hey little big nose, how you make flute on arrow head, and not break arrow head?"  "Easy, he who sees in two directions, if you know how."  "Ugh!  how you like um big lip to go with nose?!" Hmmphh!  "Ok, watch me. Take um antler with notch here, and put on plateform, then take um big antler, and hit um hard, like this"......  Hey, it could've happened. :)

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:42:57 am »
Wayne,nor the last part of that was funnyier than all get :D :D
had me rolling,best part was i had a visual to go with it(in my head of course)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:25:45 pm »

Thanks, it is nice to know I am not the only one to have visuals with the voices...... ;D

Wayne

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:32:36 am »
That's a really good looking point! Congrats on your success!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:57 am »
i didnt know we got credit for the two and three piece take-downs ... if so im a pro !!!  good job on the clovis your getting good fast !