Author Topic: History of Canting?  (Read 8855 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: History of Canting?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 01:59:26 am »
                                what about shooting a Slingshot that Shoots Arrows........... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:04:24 am »
                                              I beleive that We are  all a bit  MENTAL....

Nah... really think so??  >:D >:D >:D
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:54 am »
"The relationship between shooter and target is more visceral with a simple wood self bow."
Hey, I like that...sums it up nicely.
Del
BTW I don't see how a vertical bow obscures less of the target???
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 08:45:58 am »
Try shooting a deer from your knees with a 6' bow without canting. ooga-booga
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as large as required.

mahtosapanumpa

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:58 am »
On a self bow with or without a rest put the arrow on the string and look down your arrow as you hold the bow vertical. The arrow will be pointing left of center if you are right handed or right of enter if you are left handed. Now cant the bow so that the rest (or your bow hand) and the bow make a V shape. The arrow will now be straight in front of you. When shot vertically the arrow tends to leap up and slightly out from the bow and then recover. We instinctively compensate for that by changing our bow arm in relationship to our target. Usually by canting the bow to a more natural position for us, the bow, and viewing the target. When the bow is canted correctly the arrow will leap up but be already inline with the target.
   I would suggest that shooting a bow vertically would be more modern and perhaps dictated by mass armies shooting long bows shoulder to shoulder.
Kirby

Offline PeteC

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 01:03:51 pm »
This has been brought up time and time again.In my case,as a hunter ,I position my bow to get the arrow under my dominant eye,regardless of the position of the shot.The bow may end up anywhere from parallel to the ground to past vertical while contorting my body to make a shot happen.I feel certain that hunters throughout the ages have done likewise.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:08 pm »
   I would suggest that shooting a bow vertically would be ... perhaps dictated by mass armies shooting long bows shoulder to shoulder.
Kirby

Most likely!
Frank from Germany...

Rhinegold

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 07:29:03 pm »
On a self bow with or without a rest put the arrow on the string and look down your arrow as you hold the bow vertical. The arrow will be pointing left of center if you are right handed or right of enter if you are left handed. Now cant the bow so that the rest (or your bow hand) and the bow make a V shape. The arrow will now be straight in front of you. When the bow is canted correctly the arrow will leap up but be already inline with the target.
Thats it!!! Excellent answer Mahto!

I've been trying to articulate in my own mind why its easier to aim while canting and you have described it perfectly.

Even Korean archers who shoot on the right side of the bow still cant to the right...which seems odd because I doubt they can even see the points of the arrows at full draw.