Author Topic: Will Bamboo Work for 45# bow?  (Read 2513 times)

Offline dogleg

Will Bamboo Work for 45# bow?
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:14:08 am »
Been thinking of buying a bale of 3/8"x4' bamboo from bamboosupply, but don't want 500 shafts too stiff for my bow.  Will the spine be low enough on enough of these to make it worth the money, or will the wife end up with a bqananza of craft material?  :)

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Will Bamboo Work for 45# bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:18 am »
A lot of them will work well for 45# But most will likely spine out much higher.  The good part is that most bows will shoot BB well even if it does spine out a bit high.
 Maybe KnightD will chime in.  He works with a lot of Tonkin.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02:23 am »
Dogleg....I got 250 of them...Me and Eddie (Mullet) Split a Bundle....all of them so far have worked that I have used....they really don't seem to care what the Spine is...They shoot good on My Bows from 45 to 65 Pounds just fine....and I never Spine test them anyways....just make em ...and sort them out as I shoot them....some like different Bows too....if 500 is too many....Maybe JesseS...Venisonburger....or DanaM would be interested in some....They all live close to You....might be able to split up a Bundle that way.....Just a Thought
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:16 am »
You can  always  sell/trade  bamboo:) 
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:58:28 am »
The way I figure it, if the shafts spine at 110# and you leave them 4 feet long, the extra length would reduce the spine to 10#. Even if the spine was way off, I think you could probably cut the length to adjust the spine to match the bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dogleg

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:01:59 am »
Thanks guys, hink I'll order a batch.

Justin - Yeah, but then I've got to build one of them Amazonian bundle bows, to mach my 4' arrows, and to look right shootin' the thing there's that whole nose-bone thing.  Loin clothe gets a bit drafty around November, here in WI, I imagine.  I'll stick with somethin' that let's me role play, when I want, and still wear pants!   >:D

Off topic - A friends kid (big bow hunter, got all the newest kill-shot vids and x-box games), strutted up and told me that I'd have to build him one of those "old, antique sorta bows".  Looked down his nose when I told him my hickory Holmgaard pulled 45#, and proudly anounced he'd need at least 70#'s, as his new wheel bow pulled 80.  I just smiled and said he should at least pull mine first, to get a feel for what he wanted.  Got it about 3/4 draw, and carefully let it back down.  Said, "Well, maybe 60#."  His dad just smiled at me.   ;)

I copied that first paragraph, and e-mailed to my daughter in Peru (she's visiting her future mother in-law), and got the reply back, already.  Said her fiancee fell off his chair laughing at the though of this dumpy old white man, trying to stumble through the bush, in a loincloth.  Personally I think I'd look very rake-ish.  :-\
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:42 am »
You can also reduce the spine by scraping the shaft. It thins is and reduces the spine.  Just be careful not to scrape too much.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:06:21 am »
the 8-10mm bamboo shafts will spine mostly in the 55-90#.  for your 45# bow, you may want to get the 6-8mm shafts.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:40 am »
I just bought a bundle of 500 from Ben Meadows, 3/8" x 4' haven't sorted all of em yet but it seems like I got a whole bunch of
light spine shafts ??? But with 500 to chose from at a cost of $76 I ain't complaining :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI