Author Topic: Ideas  (Read 1567 times)

Offline luis32

Ideas
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
Hi I just wanted some ideas.Im going to buy a red oak board and I want to cut 10 inches off and use that as the handle but I dont know if a 62" red oak board will be good for making a 30-40 pound bow at a 25" draw lenght if this is not possible could you suggest other ideas,I want to make a shorter bow because first I dont have a lot of space,I am short and is a little difficult to strung my 72"bow,and the last reason I dont have acces to others kind of wood.Thanks for your help.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:44:25 pm »
should be fine..  Or you can cut off 8 inches for handle glue on (which is all i use) and have a 64 inch bow which will be even stable-er.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
ya i would try with an 8 inch long handle, that leaves you with 4  inches of space for your hand and  2 inch long fades
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

half eye

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:54:54 pm »
Luis32,
       Do you know how wide or thick a board you have in mind? If you have a decent selection try to find a vertical grain, a couple inches wide (1-3/4 min) and at least 3/4 thick (1/2 would do if you add a grip block) if the grain isn't to good you can back the bow also. Those dimensions will pull at least 27" and should get you at least 50# at 27" (more if you go down to 25" draw) have made several from red Oak and if the grain's good it makes a fine bow....backed, it still makes a fine bow.
half eye

bowman26

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:59:18 pm »
Red oak boards never seemed forgiving enough for me but I do things pretty primative.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:11:11 am »
When I make a board bow I hardly ever glue on a handle. 1.5 in wide out to mid limb will get you 50-55#. 1.25 in wide out to mid limb will get you 45#. I can continue if you are interested. :) jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!