Author Topic: seasoning ash  (Read 5953 times)

ilcoalminer

seasoning ash
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »
hey guys, just went to the woods and cut a white or green ash small tree about 2.5in (6.4 cm) wide at the base tappering to 1.5in (3.8 cm) and 6 foot (188 cm) i dont have anything on the ends yet thought i would get some ideas from you guys first.

thanks

Offline adb

Re: seasoning ash
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:36:27 am »
What do you want to do with this?

ilcoalminer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:05:21 pm »
i'm going for a 6 foot longbow D cross section and have it bend through the handel

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:21 pm »
I don't think you can do it, with a log that small. By the time you split it into a stave (even in half), it doesn't leave you with much to work with. How much sapwood does the tree have? With ash, I use nothing but sapwood. If you do decide to try it, split the log, remove the bark, and then just seal the ends. I use a commecial log end sealer from Lee Valley Tools, but wood glue or shellac will also work.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »
It can be done..Don't split it...work it down.from  the.full thickness....get it to floor tiller....seal it all with shellac...or wood glue....and let it season...you will not get no 60 pound bow from this....but you should be able to come up with a shooter....this size of tree lends itself better to a stiff handled bow...you would just mark out the grip area...fades and limb taper....and start whittling at  it....good luck....and post pictures of your progress...

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:36 am »
Well, I think if you don't split it, it will take forever to season, especially if you don't remove the bark. You would have to rough it out to shape soon, but I wouldn' even floor tiller it for a while, otherwise you're just inviting set. I've also had some bad luck taking wood to bow shape too soon, with twisting and reflexing/deflexing. Give it try... what have you got to lose?  ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:51 am »
I agree with the others. It will make a nice flat or eliptical section bow, keep all the width, aim for maybe 60-65" long, should make a nice 40 pounder.
It will shoot much snappier as a flat section than it will as a longbow, it'll take less set too.
De-bark, seal the ends, leave somewhere dry and draughty for 6 months, or somewhere hot for a few weeks if you keep an eye on it.
Ive got a nice Hazel flatbow I made from something about that size on my http://sites.google.com/site/delsbows/
There's a thread on AIUK where I describe seasoning it quickly and with a few more pics and description throughout the thread.
http://www.archery-interchange.net/forum/bow-building/21118-bow-bark-left.html
It might give you some ideas, I think it went from a being a branch lying on the woodland floor to being a bow in a month or maybe two.
Del
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:40:06 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:43:42 am »
I have made a longbow from a fairly small diameter limbs of Yew by chopping away one half (didn't want to risk spitting as there was no spare wood).
But I think the smallest end of the branch was still about 2".
Anyhow, whatever you try, good luck with it and have fun.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.