Author Topic: Bucky the Buckthorn Stave  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Bushbow

Bucky the Buckthorn Stave
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »
So I thought I would try my luck with a local (Illinois) weed tree know as Buckthorn. Pics, below, the stave is 80" long and about 4" in diameter. Any recommendations on intended design? My first inclination is an ELB, but I understand the S.P. on this wood is 0.52. Could it stand the compression of a D-section? My second thought is a 68" pyramid design with wide flat limbs. I sealed the ends with TB2. I thought I would leave the bark on but take it down to rough bow dimensions, and then let it dry a month or two, is that a good plan for Buckthorn?

Offline Parnell

Re: Bucky the Buckthorn Stave
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:16:33 pm »
Oh man, I used to live in the NW suburbs - I think that was the official tree of my town.  I must of cut and herbicide at least a thousand of those things.  I'll be really curious to see how this takes for bow wood.
1’—>1’

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:46 pm »
Parnell, me too. I post as it progresses. It would be nice if something that is apparently worthless, has a use.
Chuck S.

radius

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
dude you could probly get one flat, wide limbed bow and two narrow section bows from that...come on cut em, experiment, and see!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »
guys  if thats wooly buckthorn  <chittam wood >  it will make a bow i bought a stave last year  made a flat bow out of it  and make the limbs wide  they are 1 7/8  66 n to n  at 52 #  shoot s nice  brock

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:01:26 pm »
Bcbull from rooting around on the web the best I can tell it is Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica). This stuff is everywhere here.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:27:56 pm »
Chuck,

The Basque bowyer I told you about (Asiertxu), made his bow much like an ELB, but with a rounded belly - slightly flattened is what he said, not the high crown as in a true Yew ELB. I described the properties of Buckthorn being very like Yew. So much so that he called it "poor man's yew". I'd give that design a try. If you mess it up it's not like there isn't tons of the invasive stuff around to try making some more bows out of.

Matt

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
Matt you have a good point. My preference is an ELB, Both Yew bows I have made are a flattened D section. The first one I made after watching the DVD by Glenn St. Charles, he favors a flattened D section for yew. And to your point, I can find more, without even looking (much).
Chuck S.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:54:54 am »
I finally finished this bow. All things said and down it is really a good shooter. I have tested the S.G. of a dried piece and calculate 0.62. This is born out by the amount of abuse I put this stave thru with stupid mistakes. for more info see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3BjZ3QHyOA

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »
Post pics of it!
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline acker

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »
HM , Ive tested one Buckthorn stave so far , the wood was very light  by high ring count -> something under 0,5 , but did look very nice.
Very week under tension , didn't have chance to make a bow out of it ::)
My Buckthorn was " Rhamnus frangula "

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:12:17 pm by acker »

Offline Muina

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:14 am »
Two words - ni, ce! I love that wood, looks just like Yew and I'm guessing it'd be a bit cheaper lol. Really nice bow too, you did a brilliant job on it

Anthony

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »
Acker there is always the possibility I botched the specific gravity test, but I think the results are correct. The stave in your pictures looks much pinker than the wood I have, it is more of a straw color. I did notice when working with the wood that it responds much like black walnut. Below is a picture of the 27cc block I used for testing. Growth rings average about 3/32".

Chuck S.