Author Topic: spar marine varnish  (Read 4204 times)

Offline chuckp

spar marine varnish
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »
I just got done applying 6 coats of tru oil on my hickory bows. Would applying spar marine varnish next be of any benefit? (I have some on hand).

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: spar marine varnish
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
Ive only used spar by itself and i would say use it on your next bow sice i dont think the wood will take it in anymore. it may give it some extra protection but for me the real beuty is when the wood takes i in. good luck chuck
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline chuckp

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:15 pm »
I kind of screwed up. I didn't know that tru oil would give me a shinny bright finish on hickory. After six coats the finish is beautiful but not really what I had in mind for a hunting bow. I do have one rattlesnake skin in the freezer, its that time of the year when I probably will get another soon.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »
Chuck,you hav'ent screwed up.Just lightly steel wool the tru-oil finish,then buff it and it will give you a beautiful satin finish. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »
I put spar urethane over Tru Oil on osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »
I believe its Pat that uses a spray of satin poly over tru oil on his bows. I'm sure spar would be fine. Just stay away from laquer spray over tru oil :o makes a mess ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:03 am »
I do use spray satin poly over Tru-Oil on all my hunting bows. I like the protection I get with Tru-Oil and have used it for many years. I used to buff the Tru-Oil finish with steel wool for a satin finish but after use the shine came back. I began spraying a light coat of satin poly and been using it since.
  There is no reason to add spar varnish over Tru-Oil. I don't believe it will add any extra protection. A spar varnish finish on it's own, should give you good protection for your bow as will a Tru-Oil finish.
  No matter which finish you use on your hickory bow it will still take on moisture and release moisture as the humidity changes. This usually doesn't happen over night but over a period of damp or dry weather. By keeping your bow in your air conditioned(or heated) house(or you have a hot box) you can control the hygroscopic rate and maintain a lower M/C for your hickory bow.  Moisture effects all wood bows. Some woods are effected more than others, unfortunately hickory seems more effected than other bow woods. No matter, I still think hickory is one of the better bow woods and I live in an area with high summer humidity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:03 am »
Good point, Pat. I would just do a stain and spar on hickory. The reason I use Tru Oil on osage is I like the way it fills yp the pores. Then I do 3 coats of spar spray because nothing beats spar for waterproofing. I use it on my snowshoes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!