Author Topic: crossbow  (Read 1728 times)

paganwannbe

crossbow
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »
My father wants A crossbow primitive style And I was wandering what type of wood would work cause I heard that yew is a good wood  for bows so I thought that that would work for A crossbow any suggestion would be appreciated thank you.

Offline Frode

Re: crossbow
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:44:13 pm »
For the tiller, most anything would work, depends on how fancy you want it to be (carved, laminated), what color, grain, etc.  Heck, you can make a perfectly good one from a pine 2 x 4.  For the prod, unless you've already done several, or were going for a horn/wood/sinew composite, I'd recommend buying one ready made in steel.  I started one in red oak, backed with linen, and it just never got not scary.  I put it on the shelf and chalked it up to wood working practice.
Any particular time period or version of primitive you were thinking of?
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

paganwannbe

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:55:11 pm »
no not really but I have not read A lot about crossbow most of the types of thing that talk about them are eager to go back to swords and the battles so I don't really get allot of information on them.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:27:04 am »
Hi,   Check my post "another crossbow"   Del the cat replied with pics of his crossbow too.   Making a prod (the bow part) is much like making a very short, very heavy, very highly stressed bow.   The center, where the prod is bound to the tiller needs to be non-bending, which increases the strain.   I would guess that most of the originals were heavily sinewed.  I made my prod a little long compared to steel prods to reduce the stress a little.   There is a chapter in the Laubins' Book on native american bows that describes a crossbow made and used by native americans.   That crossbow just uses a regular eastern flatbow (which is sort of a short bow anyway.)   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers