Author Topic: this sucks. :(  (Read 4166 times)

Offline recurve shooter

this sucks. :(
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »
remember that 75 chevy i told yall about a while back? well my dad finally gave it to me, but its just about shot. the tranny is shot, guages dont work, leaks oil, radiator is screwed up, carburator caught fire, but seems to still work, lights dont work, the engine isnt tuned right or put togeather right and it spits and smokes and knocks. so sence i dont have a dependable truck to drive everyday, i think ima have to let it go and get my 89 dodge running, then maby in a few years get another chevy like it to fix up. man it hurts to let that thing go after i seen what it'll do.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

Re: this sucks. :(
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:46:23 pm »
so why not keep it and tinker a little here and there
in a couple of years you could have it running perfect,and doing it over time wont kill the pocket book either  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:19:39 pm »
Sounds like for the work it needs, you could spend the same or less on a much newer, more reliable used car.  Unless you "want" a project and already have a good set of wheels, I'd run from that one.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:28:35 pm »
the problems you mentioned arent necassarily that big of a deal
oil leaks are just gaskets/seals easy fixes and cheap
gages are more than likely either bad sensors/switches or wiring,once again easy enough and cheap enough to fix
if the car b caught fire(what kind is it?)rebuild it,not as hard on most carbs as you might expect
radiator are fairly cheap and easy to put in(prob less than $200get an mand e in USA part much better than the chinese parts in quality and fit)
lights are probably switch or wiring.like i said easy enough and cheap enough
as far as the engine goes,to me sounds like a timing issue
as far as the trans goes,pull it and get it rebuilt.one of the biggest costs to an older vehicle trans over haul is the labor to r/r it.if you do that part your self you will save about half of the cost of that job
dont give up on that chevy
im a ford guy as we all know,however i can and do work on chevys also
nice things with them is they are common,therfore parts are easy to get and cheaper than most other makes for  the most part

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:32:44 am »
yah, dont give up on it!  i mean, even if its a headgasket leaking, fairly simple motor to take apart compared to something newer. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:28:24 pm »
thanks guys. yeah i definitly dont want to lose it. its a beast (well, a cripled beast lol)

sailordad, the carb is a holley double pumper four barrel, and the truck still runs and it hasnt happened again so idk what was up with that.
also, it seems like it would be cheaper to get a used tranny from a junk yard and replace it than to get it rebuilt, but idk.

yall are right its mostly stuff a you could fix in the driveway, but im having a hard time convinceing my grandpa that i need it lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »
well good on ypu ifn ya aint gonna give up on it

as far as the carb goes,hollies are easy as apple pie to overhaul
even if it still runs,after it caught on fie,its a good idea to overhaul it
the fire could have damaged the floats,needle and seats,and other little diaphragms and such
but that your call there,it may run great for long time yet wiht that carb

now you said it only did it that one time,does that mean catching fire
or does that mean the whole knocking spitting sputtering pinging only happened the one time?

yes it would be cheaper to get a used trans,however you dont know how long that used trans has been sitting in the junkyard
they may say "we just got it in 2 days a go",but they tell people stuff like this cause its what people like to hear
one big problem with a used trans is when they sit unused for a period of time
all the little tiny rubber seals and orings dry up like a popcorn fart and get brittle,then you put the trans in and it works great for a couple of weeks
then all of a sudden reverse/low goes out or something else happens and next thing ya know your pulling that sucker again and getting it over hauled

good luck,ifn ya need any input or advise feel free to holler at me  ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »
 Like sailordad said, I've paid to have a tranny removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled. It cost me a little over a Grand. I took one out myself and took it to the tranny place and put it back in and it cost me $200. A lot of times when a Carb catches on fire is because somebody didn't change the airfilter and turned the cover upside down where it was getting a lot of air.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:36:10 am »
A lot of times when a Carb catches on fire is because somebody didn't change the airfilter and turned the cover upside down where it was getting a lot of air.

now i never even thought of that Eddie,and your right too.
very good possibility

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:04:29 pm »
lol mullet a bout the air filter, yeah it aint even got one on it. it wong fit under the hood. thats another issue. and its been driven to texas and back a few times like that so no idea what problems that coulda caused.

sailordad, it only caught fire once.  ;D i'll rebuild the carb if i keep it. thanks for the advice.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 03:20:31 pm »
Yep, they'll catch on fire without one, too. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:41:44 pm »
As far as the knocking, could be the timing is off and you're getting pre-ignition
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com