Author Topic: Black Cherry/ Rawhide  (Read 3812 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Black Cherry/ Rawhide
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:53 am »
Very nice job and pics on that black cherry bow.I've never worked that wood yet but have choke cherry staves drying in the shed.I've read it shoots pretty sweet.Never shot one yet myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:49 am »
Black cherry rules!  :) Very good looking bow, nice tiller and great finish. Like.
Don't shoot!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:16 am »
Thanks for all of the compliments guys.I'm hoping to convert him and take a Moose hunting trip back home with him.That's what's got him all fired up.

ssgtchad :The finish is waterbased stain and aniline dye with many coats of amber shelac ,padded on in a French polish sort of method. (tested to be the most water proof /resistant finish by wooden boat magazine.Who am I to argue?)

Richardzane: The rawhide was butted together over the stiff handle (under the wrap)I don't wet the hide . I sand the flesh side flat and smooth and then  "soften" it slightly over  the sharp edge of my work bench,just enough to bend easily over contours. I then run 60 grit sandpaper over the back (with the grain)of the bow just enough to score it. Size the back and the hide with a thin coat of Pearl Hide glue. Iron, set on a temp just warm enough to work the glue (shouldn't sizzle) and squeegee with a polished piece of metal(I use a small brass bar )as you go. The hide will suck the glue into it so make sure you use a good amount when sizing. With this method you aren't waiting for the hide to dry out again,the glue coming up into the hide makes it transparent (if thin enough) and it's easy to make sure there are no air pockets. The brass bar polishes the hide as you go and leaves a super smooth finish .It dries quick ,and cures overnight. Leave extra time to be sure. The semi hard jelly/glue and hide is easily rough trimmed with a razor blade after an hour or so , making it easier on your tools to finish up.(no hard glue to gum and dull sharp edges) The whole process of laying the hide took about an hour to hour and a half including prep. It's the same basic process as hammer veneering on furniture. I don't know if it will work with TB hide glue, never tried it.

Greg : Whatever could you be insinuating? lol. I treat all of my off cuts the same. Besides ,everyone knows that the swirly contrary grain is the one that looks best on cabinetry. ;)

Pappy: I'm sure with your guidance and/ or tutelage  your friends bow will be a work of art!

Jodocus: Thanks . I have many small dia. staves of Lilac,Serviceberry, Hophornbeam,Privet ,Mullberry etc. that I will be starting to tackle over the next year  so I hope to call on you and Druid for some guidance . Love those bows!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:42:19 am by lostarrow »

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:07:57 pm »
that's a beauty, the rawhide looks really good
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"