Author Topic: Kids arrows  (Read 1754 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Kids arrows
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »
I just finished a bow for my son, and now I need to set him up with some arrows to match.  I've read several places that people make them a lot from 1/4" dowels, but I have some questions about them.  It doesn't look like there is going to be any way to make a self nock on these, will I have to use plastic nocks?  Same for points, is there any good way to put some homemade points on here, or will I have to use glue ons?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

half eye

Re: Kids arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:45:28 pm »
hey jon,
      For everyday kids arrows I use 5/16" taper the fletch end. Plenty of room for self knocks. then drill the front end and set some "screw-in" type target points with 5 min. epoxy and haft with thread (for looks). they hold up really well....even when my nephew shot some into a cement wall when his floks wasn't lookin.
      Maybe the other fellas got a better way but these have held up good for the kids I made 'em for.
rich

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:08 pm »
Thanks Rich.  5/16ths may work a lot better than 1/4" now that I think about it.  I also thought about using some of the light weight bamboo I've got laying around unused.  They'll probably be a good bit slower due to overall weight, though.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:50 pm »
If ya need to save some weight try to get your paws on some of the "crimp" on heads and glue 'em on, and you could also do a quickie beltsander taper.
rich

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
5/16 work real good for kids arrows. I would definitely try some light boo also. AS far as points use what you have. Bullet casings, screw in points, screws, get some tubing and crimp over the end and shape to a point.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »
Hi John and hello Rich...I do it the same way as Rich does by drilling a hole and putting a screw in field point.  Works grat and keeps the kids happy!  Have a good day!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill