Author Topic: My first Moley  (Read 7071 times)

Offline denny

• my site
Re: My first Moley
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 04:58:49 pm »
Thanks guys for the kind words. The best I can describe the way it shoots is, it has a smooth draw  from beginning to end and does not stack. It has no hand shock and deploys an arrow with distinct authority. I would compare the static tip as a compound wheel, it would seem the tip just follows the draw, but you can really see the determination it has when the tips try to recover. It is a must shoot , to really enjoy the performance. The ash is heart wood of a black ash tree, quarter sawn. It has a smooth grain, which made this bow one of the easy ones to till.I am no expert of moley's , but have searched the books and talked to as many people who have built them, as I could before I made the bow.The P.A. forum was a great help and I thank all that helped . The walnut was glued up with urac 185 and cooked in a bow oven for about an hour . I then spliced a accent strip of ash over the edges of the walnut where they meet at the middle. I also found you need to keep it thin or it will lift off .. The walnut is about 1/8 inch thick and I started out with a board of ash 1 1/8 inch thick ,tapered to 3/8 inch at the ends . Although the tips should be pin knocks for original , I kept them small and put a traditional tapper to them. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer. Denny

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »
Beautiful bow,very well done.Love the grain on Ash. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mox1968

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »
liking it a lot denny ,very nice looking bow mate.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:31 pm »
very nice looking molley, i made one of these a while back and can confirm that they do shoot really well, the tips are'nt heavier than a 'normal bow, they should be lighter because like you said they are narrower.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline gothmog

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 12:47:52 pm »
Beautiful bow, nice work.  The grain lines are very attractive.  I'm carrying a molle this year as well.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:10 am »
Thanks Fellows again for the kind words. Keep building it is a passion now! Denny

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:52:45 am »
Very nice Molegabet bow.  Got it bookmarked for Sept BOM contest.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 01:24:04 am »
Thanks Josh it would be neat to win. lol It is always nice to receive nice notes, upon completion of a fun project. Got some more for the future. Denny