Author Topic: ? about drying a log  (Read 2282 times)

Offline jp gray

? about drying a log
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:37:35 pm »
i have found a perfect sicamore tree ,about 7 inches around ,i want to cut and seal the ends,how long do i need to let it dry before i start makeing a bow out of it?i know it may not be the best wood ,but i just want to play around with it,gonna practice on this before a i do a hickory
john paul gray

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: ? about drying a log
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »
JP....I have had nothing but good Luck with Sycamore...don't expect to make War Bows from it now....but a nice wide limbed 58-68 inch Bow drawing up to say 50-55 pounds is very reasonable...I have made many Paddle and Pyramid Style Bows from this wood....I personally enjoy working it.....jmho
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »
Hey JP,

Sycamore is great wood. I made a 64" selfbow that was 1.5" wide the whole way and then taper down the last 10" to a 3/8" tip. Came out to be 40#@28". Great little shooter.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline jp gray

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »
good deal,thanks
john paul gray

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:02:12 am »
JP, I have never worked sycamore but with most woods I cut I seal the ends of the log then split it at least in half. After a month or so I reduce to stave size. If I remove the bark I seal the back...no matter what wood I'm using.   For big projects cheap carpenters glue works as a sealer. I prefer to use spray shellac when working only a few or one stave. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
I would try to split it at least in half. All of the sycamore I have used from full logs has split at least once, even with sealed ends. One good thing I have noted, though is that the bark will usually come off of the sycamore as it dries. You can leave the bark on and pry it off in big chunks once it is dry.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline jp gray

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:46:51 am »
i know hickory that when you just take the bark off ,you can leave whats under the bark for the backing,can this be done with sycamore?
john paul gray

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:30:39 am »
John....Sycamore is just like Maple of Hi Tory...just  take the Bark off....and there is your Back...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome