Author Topic: bullet makeing question time  (Read 1759 times)

Offline recurve shooter

bullet makeing question time
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »
dont have a thermometer for my lead working setup yet, currious about temp. as far as i know if your mold isnt filling out right its not hot enough, and if you get frosted bullets its to hot. am i right on this?
lets just shoot it

Offline half eye

Re: bullet makeing question time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »
Recurve,
      Generally you are correct. The frosty casting are usually too hot, but they can also look that way from the mold being to cold (mostly ya get the wrinkles from a cold mould). I allways melted my lead in a sauce pan on a stove and while the lead was melting and getting up to temperature I let the mould set on/in the lead. Even doing that it usually takes about 10 casts or so to get the mould up and running; That is casting good bullets. The larger the bullet the more this becomes a problem. My 510 grain 45 mould for the 45-70 takes a lot of warming up.....and so does my solid based 50 (.512) bullet mould for my 50-70. I usually cast 10-15 bullets, which goes right back in the pot and start turning out proper castings.....and after 20-30 good bullets ya need to let the mould cool down some to keep everything at an "average" temp that produces the good castings.
      Both of my "big" single cavities are old steel RCBS moulds from the early 60's. Hope it helps ya some
rich