Author Topic: no success, but fun  (Read 1557 times)

Offline recurve shooter

no success, but fun
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:38 pm »
ian and my hunt wasnt successfull, but tons of fun, and very interesting. first off, i felt like an idiot half the time. i have NEVER gotten turned around so many times on such a small piece of land. our plot at the camp is only about fifty acres. a gravel road runs along one side, a bottom with a creek marks the other side, the camp itself and a fourwheeler trail marks another side, and an inpenterable pine thicket marks the last side, so its impossible to actually get lost. buuut, not imposible to get confused. in the middle of the plot there is a fourwheeler trail that we launched our expeditions off of. now, ian has hunted with me for two years, and will tell ya that i have never gotten navigationaly confused, and always know where we are. but we would launch off of that fourwheeler trail, and loop back around to hit it again, and end up at the thicket, or head for the camp and end up at the trail faceing the wrong way, or head for the thicket and hit the road, ect. it was wierd. and mildly anoying.

seccondly, sittin around camp listening to the other great white hunters, you kinda start to see how lazy and unskilled hunters have gotten. every one of them used some sort of high powered rifle with a jacked up scope for shots maby fifty yards max. they ride their fourwheelers to within a hunded yards of their nice cozy box stands and go climb up and stare at their rye grass plot and the piles of corn in the middle of it. none of them ever scout, hunt rub lines, scrapes, or anything. If you like hunting like this, its no big deal, whatever floats your boat, but dont sit around bragging about what a great hunter you are for sitting there on a pre established stand and food plot with your rifle equiped for an easy two or three hundred yard shot, and shooting whatever is unfourtunate enough to wander out, and then bragging about your incredible 30 yard shot. even if it was to far back and alittle high.  :-X But, i guess thats how they grew up hunting and dont see any better way to do things.  ??? :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: no success, but fun
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:45 pm »
 I get a keen sense of accomplishment,every time I get off my arse and go walk a couple of miles,or build a fire and spend a couple of days off the road and away from the people's. I am usually armed with something,Gun , Bow , Camera , walking stick , I am getting older and much less likely to make a kill , content to guide friends and family.
 I love the contest of predator/prey.
 Watching the hunting shows on T.V. , gets old quick for the reasons you just mentioned.  I guess to each, their own.  I am enjoying my new digital Camera alot , no limit !
I have shot hundreds of turkey's and deer in the last couple of weeks.  This is the time of year, Oh yeah !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington