Author Topic: river cane nodes..  (Read 2822 times)

Offline aero86

river cane nodes..
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:35:17 am »
what can i do with them?  im working on a small batch right now, and hopefully i can get a few that spine out for me.  id like to make a nice set.  i know with tonkin bamboo, you can grind the nodes flat.  but, what are the options with river cane?  compress the nodes a bit? or can they be filed flat? 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: river cane nodes..
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:40:49 am »
Do all your straightening first then you can sand the nodes or compress them. I prefer the latter. If you sand the nodes you have to seal the arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:15:20 am »
so, if i sand them, it wont affect the integrity of the shaft?  maybe im thinking of a different cane that it affects?  you absolutely have to seal them?  these dont have to look pretty.  just gonna be personal shooters..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:42:27 am »
As long as you don't try to straighten them after sanding the nodes you should be OK. Straighten first then when the shafts are stable sand the nodes and seal the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:44 am »
I am with Pat.  My experience with cane involves straighten first then sand the nodes then seal.  No problems yet.  Happy crafting.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
how do you compress the nodes? I've been sanding all mine but I'm always up to trying something new.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »
well, ive never tried it, but ive heard that heat up the node and just roll it between two pieces of wood, or two hard surfaces

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:52 pm »
That's exactly how I compress the nodes...heat then(one at a time)and roll them under a block of wood and a hard smooth surface. I use a block of osage and a maple butcher top kitchen table. I use our gas kitchen stove to work arrows.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:22:13 pm »
I sand all mine even after straightening, and I've only broken one cane arrow in years of shooting them into trees, rocks, and Pappy's dadblame steel-belted fox targets. :) The nodes are the weak point when heated, but a sanded-flat river cane node is still about 50x stronger than a cedar shaft.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:49 pm »
sanded flat eh?  i might go a bit further with these 5 ive got going right now.  i filed them a bit, id like to try some flat bamboo.  i know the tonkin that i sanded flat never broke.  they always split at the point when i missed, but never broke at a node.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 09:09:46 am »
I usually compress mine,I heat them up and use an arrow tammer from Ace on a hard surface ,
Just roll them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good