Author Topic: Stave for Christmas Exchange  (Read 12772 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Stave for Christmas Exchange
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 09:42:25 pm »
 That is looking sweet Pat.  Shaping up to be a very nice bow there. Someone is going to be very blessed.  ;)  You have also put together a great buildalong for a character bow. Maybe we should move this over to the archives when your done.  I also liked your comment about "the make up room" It always puzzles me when people spend the times to shape out, tiller and get a bow shooting. then don't take the time to dress it up. Can't wait to see her after the "make up"  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 12:12:52 am »
I haven't had a chance to work on her in the last few days. I need to get her done and on her way. I don't think she will be at her destination by Christmas but hopefully shortly after. I don't have much to do but at least 4 or 5 days for finish work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
FRET!!!  >:(  :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »
O no!   Hope it isn't terminal. :(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:06 pm »
Unfortunately I think it is terminal. The fret is in the crook. I will try to repair it and shoot it plenty but I'm not real hopeful. I do have another something I can send out so I'm OK there.
  She was looking so good. I shaped the tips and added overlays. Added leather on the back of the handle and shaped it and the handle area and was doing finish sanding when I found the fret. Haven't strung the bow in 3 days so this happened before. I am glad it happened now and not later but I'm still bummed.  :(

Here she is. I heated the fretted area and added super glue but a better patch will be necessary if she is to survive.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 01:09:34 am »
Oh no,,,,,,, Hope she holds for ya Pat,  Do ya think you can save her with a patch?  Don't overlook the possibility of saving the one limb for a splice or take down, if she dose blow.  Got my fingers crossed for ya. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:30 am »
Keenan, I think the leverage at that crook will be too much for it. I will study it and see if there is a chance.   Walt Francis on TradGang suggested saving the one good limb too.
  I was so looking forward to finishing this bow and sending if off. It was gonna be for Lulyn!  :(   I have a back-up gift but I wanted this to happen.  :(

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:27 am »
To bad Pat,but it happens on those type bows sometimes,I have patched them before with
pretty good success,Real thin piece of Osage,just have to be sure that it is thin enough to bend a little to start with or they will usually pop off.Good luck. :) I with the others on saving one limb for a take down.  I may even have a limb that will match up pretty good,had problems more than once myself. :) ;) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 11:56:11 am »
Oh Pat, She hasn't seen this thread yet but I know she will be very thankfull for all your efforts. She has certainly watched a few that I've spent hours on just end up in pieces. I know she'll be pleased to have anything from Pat B. I won't tell her yet who she's receiving from. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
Keenan I almost didn't say anything but I couldn't hold my tongue.  ::)  I appreciate your help and insite with this bow. I am gonna try to repair it and if successful and I'm certain it will be durable, I'll send it to her anyway. After all I pick out this stave after Marie showed me your PM to her about Lulyn's want list. For some reason I use these situations to work the most difficult staves. Sometimes they work out and sometimes not!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:12 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D I know she'll be delighted with it Pat.  I know what you meanabout picking the hard ones. I think every time I go out for a wood harvest with Dave he draws my attention to the most twisted mangled tree around and sucker me in while he gathers the straight stuff. ::)  Hope your repair works. We both have a tendency to root for the underdogs. ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 09:55:09 pm »
Pat, I am more bummed out by this news than I can say, I would have rathered it happned to me than to this Christmas bow. I don't know how this stave could have treated you so badly when it was looking so good. Especially when I assume it was not pushed in the draw weight or draw length departments. That she was for a special person makes it even worse. Hope you can save her.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 12:34:56 am »
I won't know til I try, Kenneth. A good winter project!  ;)
  Yeah, kind of bummed me out too but that's wood bow building!  ::)