Author Topic: CRT andTV hazard  (Read 1765 times)

Offline outback118

CRT andTV hazard
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:38:37 pm »
. Hi all , I've been knapping for about 2 years now and cant wake up. I live in nw PA , no good rock within 200 miles But I did find a local that sells only 30 miles from me and  I save on shipping cost.

What concerns me is  I have seen Post here and on other sites that people are saying to use CRT and tv glass. This stuff is classified buy the EPA as hazardous waste. You cant put it in a land fill and should be recycled.

the Glass is leaded Glass and has lead content as high as 80% in some parts to shield the X-rays made buy the tube.

the coating on the inside is phosphorus and may contain cadmium and other heavy metals.

another hazard is a tube like that can act as a capacitor and hold a charge of like 25,000 volts , my electronics teacher in highschool slipped wile discharging one and set his underwear on fire.

most knappers I met are concerned with scilacoacis and thats bad enough for me lacing it with lead and other deadly heavy metals is not for me. There  are too many other things i can use to work with.

Well, I don’t want to sound like a tree hugger, Just want to be safe.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: CRT andTV hazard
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »
Hey Outback, I am also from nw penna an I hear ya about no rock in area. I also drive to rock dealer an try to beat the cost of shipping but with the price of gas an 4x4 gas guzzling ford 150 I not sure I am saving much, What part of Pa. are you from, I,m from just south of Erie. Later Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:56:07 pm »
That's interesting about the TV glass. Did not know that, just always liked the smoke color hmm. What is CRT?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:01:28 pm »
Cathode Ray Tube = CRT

Offline outback118

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:40 am »
Bob, I live in the Linesville aera close to Pymatuning lake. Were do you get your rock from? I get my rock from Charlie Bracken in Saegertown. The last time I got rock I saved about $70 on shipping now all I have to do is find a place to dig my own.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »
Outback, I had a feeling we were getting rock from same place, I am almost your neighbor , I live in Waterford, I was just down to Mark Bracken's getting some  tools  last week. Have to get togeather sometime an do a little knappin. Did you happen to be at last years Frenchcreek stone tool show, it was in Eppysville or Loinsville at the catholic church.  Later Bob

Offline outback118

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:48:11 pm »
Bob , I didn't even know about that show, dang.but I did get to Flint ridge Knappin for the first time this past summer, Awesome !!
I've been knapping going on two years now, started pressure flaking now I'm working on my percution. Still in the learing curve big time but getting better with every rock I bust. A get together would be cool , maybe when the weather gets better.
Have a good one ,
 Outback (Jack)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:46:59 pm »
 I saw "Charlie" Brackin, thought you were talking about Mark. Bob, small world, Mark is from Lakeland, Fl. The last time I saw him was at the DadeCity, Fl knap in. Before that, Mark, Rick and I dove the Alafia River for coral.

When you see him again, pease tell him I said Hi.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
Eddie, wow the world is getting smaller, Mark lives about 15 miles south of me, Mark is always very helpful with my knapping when I go there. I wonder if he does any diving in Frenchcreek, water temp is ahhhh  heck its froze over :o Hey next time I see him I,ll tell him You said Howdy. Charlie is Mark's son an sells the stone. Later Bob