Author Topic: The Trade  (Read 1881 times)

Grunt

The Trade
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »
Finally got a trade going again. I posted this first last year. I have a friend named David that has cancer. His cancer is in remission and that is a good thing. I invited him to my shop and walked him through the building of a BBI re/de last fall. I wanted to have him have hunting with a primitive bow to look forward to instead of just chemo. He spent a day working on a blank I had ready and walked away with a good bow. He gave me one of his handmade knifes as a trade. A month later he comes back and the bow has popped a splinter on the boo. He let his 6' 4" orangutan son-in-law use the bow and the son-in-law yanked it to 32". I cosmetically fixed the bow and told him he had a wall hanger now. He had to go for cancer treatment and winter hit these mountains. I lost his number and when I found it it was disconnected.
I was making a sheath for David's knife and I got a case of the guilts because he didn't get his bow so I called the local work farm where David worked as a corrections officer. I explained myself I was told they would give David a message for me. The message was, come over and get a bow. I made a bowstringer to go with the bow. This afternoon David called and we had a talk and he came over and picked out a bow from the three I had laid out. We went out and shot a bit and I told David I was learning to mouth call turkeys. David went to his truck got his mouth calls and put on a impromptu workshop for me on mouth calling birds.I learned a whole lot and got permission from David to hunt in two local turkey havens and David finally got his bow.
 Damn, what goes around comes around.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: The Trade
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »
That is pretty dang cool...good for you and good for him.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:01 am »
Good story, glad to hear it worked for everyone !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline medic336

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:59 am »
awesome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:46:09 am »
 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:33:15 am »
Great story. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47:50 am »
Cool story. Thing you do definately come back to you.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Jake Allen

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »
Mighty fine!