Author Topic: Hickory heartwood for arrows?  (Read 4735 times)

Offline briarjumper12

Hickory heartwood for arrows?
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:53:23 pm »
Would the heartwood of the various hickory species make good arrows?  I got some I'm considering trying but was wondering of anyone else had tried.  Don't want a shaft through the hand.
John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory heartwood for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:11 pm »
They should make good arrows but they will be heavy!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
I've got some hard maple that is 11/32 and 32 inches long that wieghs in around 675 grains.  I have some of the hickory heartwood that I haven't cut the square ends off of yet.  When I get them a little further along I'll see how they compare to the hard maple.  Hopefully I will be able the cut the hard maple to length and cut the nocks in tomorrow then see what they weigh at 29 inches.  I have a dozen of the hard maple all slicked up and straightened already.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:37:52 am »
Hickory makes a great arrow. Heavy but good. Tough and hard to break. Should stay straight well.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:09:51 am »
Got some of the hickory shafts cut out and weighed today.  They are averaging around 520 grains at 32 in. long.  Not as straight out of the dowel maker as the maple was but I'll get em straight.  Looks promising.

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »
I've dowelled alot of hickory arrows and can find no differences in where it came from in the log, other than weight/ spine.

I can say that I feel that shagbark makes a tougher/heavier arrow.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:04 pm »
I've got a dozen hard maples almost ready for clear coat then fletching.  Then I am going to do up a dozen of the hickory and see which I like best.  The hickory wieghs less and is spining out lower than the hard maple.  If I ever get them done I will post up some pics of the finished product.  I been working overtime and have not much time for fun stuff lately.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »
I made a 1/2 dozen hickory arrows and have been shootin em for over a year now. They hold up really good. Kinda heavy though, they are 29" long and weigh between 700 and 750 grains.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »
I've got a couple dozen hickory shafts turned out now but haven't got to finish any of them.  I have a dozen of the maples finished.  Only three have pionts right now but they are shooting really good outta my 65lb@26 in hickory selfbow.  Got to get some more points for them.  I plan on getting to the hickories when time allows.  I got another bow going too.  To many projects and not enough time.  This is a busy time at work too and I been putting in a lot of overtime.  When things slow down I'll get back to building more stuff.