Author Topic: How many arrows does it take?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline DV IN MN

How many arrows does it take?
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:47:48 pm »
I was wondering how many arrows do you feel you need to shoot before you feel confident that the bow is sound? The first one or the 1000th? If you aren't sure, do you let a friend shoot that first arrow for you? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How many arrows does it take?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »
I like to put at least 100 arrows through a bow before I call it done. I don't let anyone else shoot it until then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »
I'm with Pat, 100, though I tend to lose count after 70.  Or is it 4.  ???
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:19:26 pm »
I never keep track of the arrows shot before I call a bow settled. I shoot my bows quite a bit during the building process,sometimes 20" on out, seems to help the changes register more accurately. After I have it where I think it needs to be, then I will leave it braced for several hours, shooting it periodically. If it holds  it's pattern after a day, then I call it good.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:40 am »
I didn't used to think it many at all, but last year I had the tiller shift badly on an Ash flatbow.
So now, if I'm at all suspicious I'll shoot 200.
I had a Yew ELB which needed extensive heat straightening and it kept moving this way and that. In the end I tempered the belly hoping that it would help stabilise it. I made sure I put over 200 through it over a couple of weeks, it was fine and is still performing well.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:43 am »
   I'm like TIMO  I never keep track but do shoot it a good deal. Start carrying it with me everyday. I have no set time to finish my bows. I might carry it along for a month or so fine tuning it as I go if need be before I deside to finish it.. Ofcorse un less it's has a dead line then I add shooting it in the yard also.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:22 am »
I usually give a bow a week of shooting in before finish before I call it done. I tried counting numbers, but kept losing track, and coming backa  day later gives me fresh eyes too. After a week it'd be about 200 or so arrows anyway.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:25 am »
I do about like Timo. Never really count,you just seem to know when it is done. :) I have found if you go slow ,and I usually tiller in about 3 stages, and make sure they stay dry ,they don't usually change much. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good