Author Topic: Besides Looks, what does backing do? Opinions , please.  (Read 1972 times)

Offline johnston

Besides Looks, what does backing do? Opinions , please.
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:05:00 am »
Every bow I have made looks like a stick with a string. Yeah, I know, but you people make some very pretty stuff while my bows really do look like sticks. But it is the performance that I really care about. Function, then form.
And some of the backing is just plain art. But does it DO anything? I have read a bunch on this and still don't know.
Besides being pretty, what does backing add to a bow? Thanks.

Lane

Offline Timo

Re: Besides Looks, what does backing do? Opinions , please.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12:51 am »
Depends on the backings used. Most snake skins add little more than decor,but some do have qualities of holding down splinters. The last  snake skin I used was as heavy as thin rawhide,catfish, paddle fish, and sturgeon no doubt have strengthening properties.

They do little for performance.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with those plain looking sticks you mention. ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:36:00 am »
Snake skin over sinew helps to keep out moisture.  I have backed a few bows with skins.  I have also backed one with zebra print tissue paper.  I like the way they look.  For me, it just adds a little something extra to a bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:02:31 am »
I prefer simple selfbows! If there are issues with the back I'll rawhide back it. If I want it pretty I'll add snake skins or other decorative materials. I don't back stave bows with wood or boo. For these backings I use lumber staves but rarely build them anymore...because I love simple self bows.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:21 am »
if i make a board bow i put camo cloth on it
stave bows
get nothing but the wood and maybe some stain
thats it  plain and simple   ;D
no need to do more work than neccasary to make a shooting machine  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:54 am »
   I'm not backing person I like the wood. Plus just less work and I feel just some thing that can go wrong and not needed on a hunting bow. I don't think I've ever started a bow the the intention for backing it. Except sinew ans bamboo a few times I have put a lot of snake skins on for people.
  But snake skins are mainly for looks. It will give some protection to your bow also helps with water proffering over sinew. Sinew and wood strips will protect your bow but there but on mainly for added proformas. Most cloth will protect against rising splinters or just for the Camo effect same as skins pretty much.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:50:04 am »
I want my bows to look like sticks. I am a simple person who makes simple bows. If I have to back a bow I'll either give it away or stick it in the ceiling joists. I only take selfbows into the woods. There's less to go wrong in the the woods. The Native Americans in New England did not use backings. But I will paint on some designs. Depends on my mood. White and red oak, hop hornbeam, black locust, hickory, maple, ash and many others are readily available. Why back a bow? Also when I make an osage bow I like to watch the gradual color change. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:52:00 am »
But to answer the question:
Sinew adds cast and protects the back.
Rawhide protects.
Linen, burlap and silk protect probably that order.
I don't do wooden backings.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:10:05 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. I never really thought about splinters but am sure I would have eventually. 
Here in the deep South moisture is a serious consideration and from what ya'll have said backing would help.

So far I have only made Native American type bows. Billy's articles in PA made me realize that, done right, this type of bow will not only perform but will last. But in the last 18 months of reading this site I have gotten hooked on building something pretty like the big boys do. And I've got me a nice hickory stave to mess with and that's what brought out the question.

Everyone has their own opinion/definition of what "primitive" means as applied to bows or anything else. And for me electrical tools cross the line. It ain't a religion or nothing it is just a way of connecting with times gone by. That is something that really attracted me to PA. The tolerance of a modern reality on a site dedicated to primitive weapons. Anyhow for me using hand tools shaping the backing out of something useful would add a ton of time and work and like you guys said it ain't necessary.

I will stick to selfbows for now. Thanks again.

Lane