Author Topic: elm bow design advice - please  (Read 4754 times)

Offline smoke

elm bow design advice - please
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »
Folks I'd appreciate your thoughts on how I ought to design a bow for a nice elm stave.  The stave will give me a width of about 1.75 inches with a length of 66 inches tip to tip.  I'd like to have the end product pull in the 70-75 pound range at 27 inches.  I'll probably back it with flax fiber.  With that in mind, what would you recommend for a design?  Any insights are appreciated - thanks!

Offline ohma

Re: elm bow design advice - please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »
id do the full width, 3 inches of back set, heat treat ,64" straight taper to 3/8 tips. heres a 62"55@28 self. red elm.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline smoke

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »
Thanks Ohma.  I hate to sound like such a beginner but by "stright taper" do you mean a pyramid?  Your bow looks great!

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »
ttt

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:05 pm »
No need to bump it back up again after 25 hours only...be patient my friend.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:54:11 pm »
A straight taper is just that. Taper from the fades to the tips. You can call it a pyramid because it is a long pyramidal shape but it is basically a flat bow with a taper from handle to tips instead of a modified pyramid that stays the same as the fade out the limb a bit before tapering to the tips; which is also an option.
  I just made my first elm bow. It is 60" static recurve that pulled about 55#@27". Elm is a great bow wood.   Are you using a board stave or a tree stave? If a tree stave you shouldn't need any backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:58 pm »
   I've made quite a few elm pyramid bows 1 1/4, 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 wide at the fades leaveing the last 4"s of the tips stiff 3/8"s wide tips 1/4 after you cut in the string nocks.  Anywhere from 60"s to 66"s nock to nock, 45 up to 6o pounds. All turned out well, 1/2" to and inch of string follow. No backing on any of them. One of my favoret woods to stain.
  Elms a good and easy wood to work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline smoke

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:55:56 am »
Thanks folks - this is very helpful.  I intend to get carving this weekend!

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:25 am »
Post what ya build...I am very interested...I am workin a Red Elm stave right now...Self Bow/No Backin...I am goin slow with it...Nothin fancy, I am goin to put static recurves on the tips...1 1/2" wide at the fade...72" in length...I am hopin to come out with a solid 55# bow before it is shot in, and hopin to end up with a 47 to 50# bow after all said and done...What is decievin to me, is how light this wood is, in comparrison to other woods, like Hickry and Hedge Apple. The wood is not fightin me at any point in the build process...I am not used to this...Good luck with your build...Look forward to seein it...TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline ohma

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:19 am »
smoke just what Pat said [and thanks for fielding that for me pat] i usually just get on in the morning for awhile and then go to the wood pile and see what is in store for me today. thanks again Pat and go get that elm Smoke.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:19 am »
No problem Ohma. We all cover each other when we can or have to.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC