Author Topic: huntertrapper headed out this weekend  (Read 1790 times)

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
huntertrapper headed out this weekend
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:19 am »
HT posted his trip plans here last week.Thanks for the advice from everyone.He headed west last year for a couple weeks last summer but I think he got homesick.This time him and a friend are going together so he is quite excited.The wife is not real keen on the idea and said I shouldn,t encourage him-shoot if she ain,t careful I,ll pack a bag and join him!!LOL---As he stated he,ll be back by Sept. for our trip to Alaska.I,ve been fortunate to hook up with some great people in Alaska for basically free trips.We,ll be flying into Kodiak Island then taking a float plane 30 miles to another island for 12 days.We get free room and board in exchange for working 4-5 hours a day.I,ll be doing maintanence on the buildings and Ryan will be helping with the daily going ons of the lodge(dishes-cleanup-vacum sealing fish etc.)The rest of the day is ours-We,ll be kayaking-hiking-beach combing-Silver salmon fishingetc.I use Alaska air credit card to earn miles and fly roundtrip for $12.50 a ticket-it is an amazing deal-been up 5 times for $62.50.It,s worth looking into if you plan on travel to Alaska.(Alaskaair.com)Some great deals out there to find.This trip will run us around $400.00 each and last Sept. I spent 2 weeks on the old Denali highway below Fairbanks(140 miles of dirt road and god-awful gorgeous country)and did the whole trip for $300.00 airfare included.Same deal-I drywalled/trimmed windows/did dishes/took out garbage/painted etc for 4-5 hours a day for free room/food and lodging.Rest of the time was mine.Drinking a cold beer watching the northern lights  most nights was worth that.I was out with the moose hunters every day and saw Moose-hundreds of caribou and 4 brown bears.Priceless in my book.Enough ranting on-thanks again--HT appreciates your advice.have a great day-Lloyd    Ps-anyone wanting info on the air mile deals or the work for your keep deals  to Alaska let me know

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: huntertrapper headed out this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »
Dang, makes me almost wish I was single and able to jump a plane when the mood struck...sounds like a great time.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »
     Man Lloyd, that is an incredible deal.  My Brother and his Wife have some Friends who occasionally work for a company, that has some other pod companies, and they hooked my Brother up with one of them, and he was a mechanic, and maintenance man on a big dual hull sight seeing boat in Glacier Bay.  He had to buy all of his supplies, and be flown in to where he would be staying.  Said he walked out the car one day, and turned right around and went back in his room.  He said there was big brown, with a cup in the parking lot.  Seen lots of bears, whales, and such.  I was telling him how strong bears were, and how they casually lift up a big boulder, looking for mice, and grubs, and beetiles and other insects, the Boulder would be big enough, that would take three men with a big lever to lift.  He said, he knew, as he had watched them on the beach, just take one paw, and lift up a huge rock, and look under it for sea critters.  He stayed up there for five months, and would move there in a heart beat, but his wife, wouldn't.  She went up there for a couple of weeks, she loved it but said she could not take the winters.  I have always wanted to go up there, and be flown in somewhere remote, and take my 45-70 Marlin Carbine, and fishing, and camping gear, and just drop me off at some lake, for a week or more and then come back for me.   8)  It is great that You and He can spend time like that.  Your wife doesn't like that kind of stuff, or while you two are away, she is getting away also by not having you two there? ;D ;D  Tell him, not travel along the rail ways, when he is near towns, or populations, as it is illegal to be on railroad property, and can result in a fine, and or incarceration, if they should be at the wrong place at the wrong time.  All it would take is for a grumpy cop, or some nosy citizen, or grumpy railroad worker, to make the call. ;)  I wish them luck, and a safe and fun journey.  Tell your wife, he doesn't need any encouragement.  Besides it's a Man thing, she wouldn't understand......uh, maybe you better not.... ::)

Wayne

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »
 HT is living the dream. Too many kids these days are about hanging out and living off the fat of the folks (Mom And Dad) Good to see him hitting the road.
 I did a similar thing when I was 15,only My cousin and a freind of ours and me , hitched a ride to Myrtle beach and lived on the beach for two months.  Mermaids.........Anywho, many trips to the wilds since that time.Most of the best memories center around remote country and a good friend or two. Best luck to him and his buddy. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:46 pm »
Roger that Sparow-I,m gonna do an overnight on the applachian trail tomorrow and and stoke a fire for him.have a great day-lloyd

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
yea stick-those brown bears are impressive.sounds like your brother had a good deal.alaska sure is some beautiful country.I say my thanks every time I,m up.Take care and have a great day-LLoyd