Author Topic: New osage recurve bow, first time...  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Kountry83

New osage recurve bow, first time...
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:49:07 am »
Hey ya'll!

I am new at building my first osage recurve bow, kinda mongol style and I would like to know from the bests of the bowers on this site if yall could help me out with some good ideas. I would really appreciate it! I have all the tools and have a 57 in osage stave, I wanna make it anywhere from 60#s and up.

Ideas please on such thickness,width,reflex ect...
I just want this bow to be a very nice,tough, favorite hunting bow so any ideas would really help me out and I will take pictures of the process and the final out come and post them. Im going to put alot of creativity into this bow from other perspectives not of mine and see what we alll come up with.
Thanks alot ya'll and Happy Tillering lol  ;)

HatchA

Re: New osage recurve bow, first time...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »
57" stave for a 60# bow?  You might be looking at as small a handle as possible, if not a working/bend through handle?  Other than that - I'd say sinew backing would be a must.  Plenty of others with much more knowledge than me will chime in soon enough ;)

Welcome to PA :)

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »
Thank you so much for your input HatchA, I really appreciate it alot, I will definately try that, another question though, what width and thickness should I go with if you dont mind me asking? thanks again

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:46 pm »
Im really needing help on the thickness from handle to nock, not the width, I have the width already from 1.75''by the handle fade to .5'' at the nock... please any ideas will be very helpful, thank you very much for checkin up on this build, my first osage recurve bow.  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »
I never measure thickness but remove wood until I get the tiller and weight I'm looking for.
  1.75 is a little wide for osage IMO. I'd go 1 1/2" to 1 3/8".   Later, after your tillering is done you can reduce the width of the tips to about 3/8".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »
Damn I am so happy I am a member here now, thank you so much for the help yall, I will definately do that.
thanks again  ;D