Author Topic: squirrel tails silencer  (Read 10757 times)

Offline jkyarcher

squirrel tails silencer
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:19 am »
I was wondering if anyone has use squirrel tails as string silencers. when skinned out they are

real light and real fluffy I think they would work but I was wondering if anyone has tried it before.

-jkyarcher

Offline nclonghunter

Re: squirrel tails silencer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:17 am »
cool idea....should work well
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:22 am »
I wouldn't use them untanned. I would think they would pick up moisture from humidity and begin to snell or worse. It is a cool idea though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:27:17 pm »
My very first kill with a primitive bow was a cottontail.  I field dressed the bunny on the spot and cut two strips of hide from his back and promptly made silencers for the bow.  The rawhide bunny-balls survived 7 years until it got gnawed off the string by a dadblasted dog!  Of course it hasn't rained those 7 years in the interim, so they stayed pretty dry.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »
Hmm good idea my dog just killed a squirrel yesterday I think il try it out il just cut the strips and salt them till I decide to use them :)

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Md25v

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
You mean like this?

I put these on most of my bows and have never bothered to tan them. I egg tan the hide for handle wraps but he tail is just split and twisted in while wet. Then it dries in the shape of the twists around the string with both ends tucked into the strings twists, locking it in permanently. You can remove them later by wetting them for a few minutes.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »
The grizzled look of that tree-rat fur is fantastic.  I noticed that in the post with the pics of the grop and silencers, but didn't get around to posting.

I was meaning to ask, with the thickness of the fur, does it effect your grip on the bow?

I've considered case skinning a 13-lined ground squirrel for handle wrap, their coat is much shorter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Md25v

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:36:12 pm »

I was meaning to ask, with the thickness of the fur, does it effect your grip on the bow?

There is a big difference in fur thickness at different times of the year. If you want thicker fur or a little extra padding use a squirrel killed in winter. I like the fur on my grips to be thin so the don't effect the handle shape so I use furs from squirrels killed in the summer. When I skin a squirrel I put a post-it in the baggie stating when in was killed and throw it in the freezer.When I need one for a project I pick one out that has the right characteristics, tan it, and use it. Having a selection of hides from different times of the year is a big help.

Offline jkyarcher

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:10 am »
Nice pics Md25v

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »
Egg tan? How would you go about that? Ive killed plenty of rabbits bu tive never used the hides, and squirrel, how-to please!  ;D

YB
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea