Author Topic: hickory!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
hickory!
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »
I've started building a few bows from hickory got one to the brace height it is a mollagabet it is a long bow t2t it is 72.5 inches n2n 69.5 inches it is 2" wide at the workign limbs 3/4" tapering down to .5" non working limbs fades are 2" handle area is 1.5" got a few pics. i do use the double nochs for several reasons but it just makes it easier for me not too worried about speed when it comes to stringingrather get it right  not mess it up.
doc

Offline jturkey

Re: hickory!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »
now a few questions trying for 50 to 60#'s i know it is possible does anyone know how thin i can make the working limbs and still acheive this weight with thwe measurements above?
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »
I doin't measure thickness but remove wood until the limbs is bending evenly and together and I get to my draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:53:57 pm »
   All staves (wood) are different it's hard to do weight of a bow in measurements (limb thickest). Set up a tillering tree with a scale. This way you hit your target weight right on everytime.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jturkey

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »
i was just curious because the picture i have seen make the working limbs look really thin but i was thinking it had to be a little thicker than what my eyes were tellign me. but i am taking my time with it that is for sure
doc

Offline DEllis

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »
Too much difference in density between staves(as stated) even of the same species. I have two osage bows, one that is longer and thinner than the other one, and basically the same width, but pulls almost 10 pounds heavier. Pat B has got it right.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!