Author Topic: tillering help  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Blacktail

tillering help
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:46 pm »
I need some tillering help on this one because there is something that is going on here and it is just not right to my eyes. The first photo is of just the bow unstrung. The next one is just braced up. The right limb  looks like it is pulling more than the  left limb. For some reason, I just cant figure out where to take the wood off. It is throwing me off. The next photo is at 15 in. and the one after is at 17 in. I cant figure out if it is one of the tips that might be bent more than the other or if it is the sap wood that is throwing me off. The last one the right limb is now on the left side. You can really see what I am seeing. I dont know if you guys have this problem before or not, but the limb that is  the thickest is bending the most and the limb that is the thinnist is the stiffest one. Thanks for your help John!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: tillering help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »
i'd do a few long even strokes on that stiffer limb and then check it again.  I think the reason you cant tell which part of the limb needs the scraping is because it's the whole limb.  Looks like this one is gonna turn out nice, John.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:34:30 pm »
Looks like the left limb needs to bend  just a bit more out of the fade area to midlimb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »
thanks for the help guys...just before i posted the pics i was at the point of just ripping a whole bunch of wood off...then i said to myself ...just stop take a break and find out...its really weird because this one limb is stiff and thinner than the other..its not by much...john

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:49:58 pm »
if you don't want to scrape it any thinner then try to narrow it a little by side tillering it.  That should bring the limbs into a little better balance.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »
I know it's hard, but try to ignore the actual thickness of the limbs. It sometimes happens that one limb ends up thicker than the other. That could be due to a difference in width, or a difference in the thickness of the sapwood. Yew sapwood is less stiff than the heartwood.
I agree with what has been said by Josh and George. The right limb requires a bit of scraping along its entire length. The left limb is a bit stiff near the fade. You'd better start with correcting the right limb, and then scrape the left limb. Always work on one limb at a time.

I do like the profile :) Yew is a great wood to work with. This design looks really cool. Actually, I have one similar to yours in the works.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »
I concur with the gang... right limb just needs atad off evenly along it.
Looking pretty good though, stepping away and having a break is always the right idea.
I had fun yesterday doing a bowyering demo at a Spring fair..
I was demonstrating some techniques on this skinny seasoned Hazel stick, I put it on the tiller just for fun and it went BANG at 36#  ;D a real crowd pleaser. I shall keep it in my act if I do another demo.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »
Man John thats really looking good so far! Be sure to post her up when your done I want some specs on that one, very nice!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »
At brace the left looks stiff at the fades as George said, drawn the right looks stiff at the fades as everybody else ahs pointed out. That seems a bit goofy?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
No advise, everyone else sees what I see. but that looks real nice so far John. go slow and post pics.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:48 am »
The right limb requires a bit of scraping along its entire length. The left limb is a bit stiff near the fade. You'd better start with correcting the right limb, and then scrape the left limb. Always work on one limb at a time.

I do like the profile :) Yew is a great wood to work with. This design looks really cool. Actually, I have one similar to yours in the works.

like DarkSoul....
Right limb is still very hard and pulling it over the left limb ...
These areas are solid in my eyes ..

Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:08 am »
   I've found you can't really tell some else how to do there tillering. You really have to be there. But I like to step away after a while you 'll see things different. I like to take it in the house and look at it while relaxing. You'll see things different.
  To get that far I say you know what your doing. The profile looks good.
  I've only had one bow that the one limb got to thin to finish the tiller. It was a billet bow.
  Stave bows you'll never run into this problem only with billet bows, that the billets aren't a set.
 Is your bow a billet bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DEllis

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »
   I've found you can't really tell some else how to do there tillering. You really have to be there. But I like to step away after a while you 'll see things different. I like to take it in the house and look at it while relaxing. You'll see things different.
  To get that far I say you know what your doing. The profile looks good.
  I've only had one bow that the one limb got to thin to finish the tiller. It was a billet bow.
  Stave bows you'll never run into this problem only with billet bows, that the billets aren't a set.
 Is your bow a billet bow.
I agree that it is difficult, if not impossible, to help with tillering from a still frame picture. Maybe a video of it bending on the tree would work? Not very practical though.
I have, however, had stave bows that were thinner and stiffer on one limb than the other, so I dissagree that it will only happen with billet bows.
Like Darksoul stated above, you have to ignore the thickness(not thickness taper) and just look at the overall tiller.
Good looking bow, you're not far from done in my opinion........a bit of scraping yet on the stiff limb and lots of exercise to make sure the wood removal registers.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 01:07:52 am »
Man I can so relate to this.  Deflex, knots, lots of things can make one limb bend differently than the other.  I agree with DarkSoul, the thickness of the limbs means nothing, you have to go with what the wood gives you.  I always work the stiffer limb first until it's bending even and then move to the other limb.  The danger is that you'll run out of draw weight before you get that one bending evenly and match the 2.   I'm pulling for you.  Wood like this will test you for sure. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »
I really like that profile.  It looks like a bow from, I think, TBB1 of a replica from the Italian Alps.  Not sure, though.
It's a beauty, I hope it turns out for you Blacktail.
1’—>1’