Author Topic: Tiller Help Please  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Stefan

Tiller Help Please
« on: May 20, 2011, 05:03:53 pm »
Hi All,

Have been working on my Laburnum longbow, now a one piece. Could use some help tillering!

Recently bought a concave scraper set, I recommend it to everyone. See the pics,

Please let my know where to remove some wood,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Boofus

Re: Tiller Help Please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »
Stephan, It's difficult to give you advice on how to tiller this bow without seeing it's "Front profile view".  I could tell you based on these pictures where i think it should bend, but it very well could be misguided advice without a front profile picture, and this looks like it's going to be a beauty!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »
Its really hard to say when the tips are moving so little.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:17 pm »
If it's well floor tillered and bending pretty evenly, you'll wanna switch to a shorter string that pretty much lays flat to the belly without bending the limbs, then see how she bends over the first few inches.  did the same thing you are with one I'm working on, the string angle change makes a huge difference in how it bends under stress.  Looked beautiful on the long string, both bending perfectly evenly, then when i braced it went nuts.  The above is the advice given to me which so far is working very well.
I wouldn't remove any wood till you put on that zero brace string.

Kevin

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »
Stefan, there are buildalongs on my site. I'd be honored if you checked them. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!