Author Topic: Got some hickory!  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Brent.Mac.

Got some hickory!
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:19:01 am »
Hey guys I haven't posted in a while, but I've just finished my first board bow (red oak) and a crossbow(elm or HHB?)!  I hope to have some pics soon.

So ya I got a hickory board today and I can get 4 bows out of it.  So I'm wondering what kind of bow 'designs' I should try, I'd like to try and make a different design with each board so if you could post names and or pictures that would be awesome!

Also has anyone tried working with butternut? I saw it at the store and thought if it would work.

Thanks,
Brent

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Got some hickory!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:41:32 am »
It's alot of fun (for me) to butt joint siyahs onto board bows. (with the proper sinew/fiber/thread binding on course.)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:31 am »
I have tryd butternut as a carving wood it is very nice looking...have not tryd as a bow :-\
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:39:58 am »
I haven't worked hickory myself but i know it is great in tension but not so good in compression, so if i was making a bow from hickory i would be making it wide and long. I also would keep the limbs as wide for as long as i could, so maybe start the taper to your tips at around 8 inches from the tips.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
here is one I made. Not a board, but the design can be done with a board

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25867.msg347523.html#msg347523

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:20:34 pm »
Brent, butternut(aka white walnut) is a cousin to black walnut but weaker as far as bow wood. It would good for risers and accents though.
  For a 68" hickory bow 1 1/2" is as narrow as I would go. The shorter you go the wider it should be. Why not start with a 68" ALB, 1 1/2" at the fades and out 8" then a straight taper to 1/2" tips(norrow to 3/8" later). 
   Your next could be a 64" to 66" flat bow, 1 5/8" wide at the fades and out 4" then a straight taper to the tips(same tips as above).
  Hickory makes a marginal ELB but for experimentation a 68" to 72" ELB style bow. For this do not make the belly deep and round but more rectangular(or slightly trapizoidal) cross section with a flat belly. Maybe 1 1/4" at the handle with a straight taper to 1/2" tips.
 For your final bow make a 60" to 64" Eastern Woodland style bend through the handle bow. Very simple design and easy to build but if done right it will stand up to the big boys. Make this one
1 1/4" wide at the handle with a slight taper to 3/4" tips.
  All of these will benefit from tempering the belly and you can add reflex while you are tempering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Brent.Mac.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  Pat thanks for all the dimensions.  and Jon that looks unique which is what I was looking for.

What is tempering? 

For the ELB would the back be flat? or make it trapizoid-y?

Thanks for everyone's replies!
If there are any designs different from the 'norm' please share=D

Thanks
-Brent