Author Topic: memorial bow (not for bom)  (Read 2847 times)

Offline SA

memorial bow (not for bom)
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:46 am »
 this is a bow i made to remember my stepfather Richard Leon Bain Sr. who passed away may 14, 2011 from a long fight with cancer ( abt.7 yrs). i have worked on this bow over the last several months a little at a time usually thinking of him and his struggle after visiting with him(seems that bow making is a good way to clear your mind , maybe thats part of the addiction). he loved to hunt and fish and taught me alot about both, he bow hunted with a crossbow but allways bragged to his buddies that i made bows(i just learned this :))  i will miss him alot and think of him with every shot of this bow.
there is a link on youtube if you would like to see a little about this person that i had the privilege to know for the last 26 years, i don't know how to post it and wasn't sure if it was appropriate or not just google his name.
oh and the bow is osage 53" ntn 40# @26'' it is only 1 1/8 wide and shoots very nice (where you look) i never got a chance to show him the finished bow but i'm sure he would approve.
thanks, Shawn
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:24:26 am by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline SA

Re: memorial bow (not for bom)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:53:48 am »
Shawn Acker

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:07:12 am »
Sorry for the loss, wish the best for yuo and your family.  you have made a great tribute and nice bow always like a cord wrapped handle. Good to hear you got along with you stepfather and even better that he taught you about fishing and hunting, t.v. always portrays the opposite.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:44 am »
thanks eric , he also had a smoked meat biz called SmOkies (his bud runs now)and i learned ALOT about that ''best in OKLAHOMA ;D''
Shawn Acker

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:25:53 am »
Good reason to build a bow and nice tiller job on one mixed up stave.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  The bow is outstanding.  The wood is so beautiful and the tiller is excellent but I think mostly because of it's significance.  He's probably looking down now with big smile on his face.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »
That piece of osage definitely has some character to it. Great lookin bow and tiller job. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Offline SA

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:03 pm »
thank for the nice comments,i also want to add he served 12 years in the U.S Navy ,one reason i posted it this weekend. God bless everyone that served or serves this country.
Shawn Acker

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:30:38 pm »
Shawn, great looking character bow
and dedicated to a man with great character and one whom seems to have left a great and lasting impression on you
and served 12 years in the greatest Navy in the world

damn dude,you sure you dont to put this in for bow of the month
you would have my vote for more than one reason

that is one sweet looking bow
love the tiller and the simpleness of it all  8) ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd